6/09/2010

I feel sick

Everyday I open the newspaper or read news on the Internet only to have my stomach turn and my heart ache.  I read lengthy articles looking for any signs of hope that something might change, that things might improve, or that finally that damn geyser will be plugged.  Yes, the thing that keeps me up at night is the oil spill going on in the Gulf.  Part of the 3:00 am wake ups is because I actually once lived there and remember the crystal clear, jade colored waters that splashed along the snow white sands of Pensacola Beach, the other part is just the total emotional uproar going on inside me.  I want those bastards at BP to get off their collective asses and DO something!  Everyday I read about the decimated waterways and estuaries.  These literally hold the key to diversity of life in the entire region.  I think about the drowning pelicans, turtles, and dolphins just to name a few, and I think about all the things under the water that we don't even see.  It makes my stomach turn.  Maybe you have to have studied biology or marine biology to truly appreciate it, but honestly, I think just having a conscience would make anyone cringe and cry at what is happening in one of the most beautiful places left in this country.
What can I do?  What do any of us do?  I live in Utah, but I want to do something!  I need to be a part of the clean up.  Let me clean birds and other wildlife!  Let me scrape balls of goo off the beach!  Let me kick the ass of every BP corporate slave that is still standing around with their finger in their nose!  Let me do something!  I applied to the Audubon Rescue to try to be apart of the action team.  I told them I would go down there, that I would do any training that was necessary, and well as you might have guessed, I'm not the only one wanting to clean pelicans.  Needing volunteers from Utah is not really a high priority it seems.  While at a Red Butte concert last Friday the thought came to me, "why not hold a fundraising concert?"  Local bands and national bands alike can come to a 3 day "Clean up BP's Mess" concert.  Given, I too want to see BP pay out the wazoo to clean this up, but maybe by doing something here, something that makes people like me here in Utah feel like we can contribute, then we become a part of the solution.
I just don't know how much longer I can sit by and do nothing, going about my day, filling up my car with gasoline, hemming and hawing my way through day to day life.  I feel sick and need to do something to ease my conscience and bandage my heart.

1 comment:

khanh_an said...

oah it so sad esspeacially the seaturtle