10/18/2006

Sixteen Cents

Today I went grocery shopping. Yeah! I know it is one of those really exciting weekly customs that we all get to enjoy. This time I found myself spending a rather lengthy period of time zoning out in the cleaning isle. Its not that I was looking for anything in particular, but I just stood there in some sort of trance staring at all the cleaners. Words bombarded me like "Sparkling," "Mountain Flowers (I guess they smell much better than say....city flowers)," Fresh Air," "Disinfectant," "Kills Germs," "Antibacterial," "Snuggly Softness," "Now with Ozone." MAKE IT STOP! I looked over at a guy leaning over his cart, that same look in his eyes while he sorted through the laundry detergent.
Too many choices.......what to get........$3.99 or $4.15. Does the extra lavender smell make it worth the $.16? What are the ounces? Price per ounce? Help......anyone.....help! Finally I gave up, grabbed the first thing I saw, threw it into my cart, tossed a pitiful look to the guy still staring at the ALL box, and made my way to the frozen food section. Geez, why does it have to be so hard? I just wanted some soap, some basic soap to wash dishes in.

As I walked away, I stared down at the Lavender scented soap in its lovely purple bottle. I picked it up, popped it open and took a deep whiff. Expecting to enter into some euphoric state, I was disappointed when lavender flowers did not dance in front of me, caress my skin, or de-stress my spirits. "What a sham" I mumbled to myself. "Definitely not worth that extra $.16."

1 comment:

tieko said...

i like the purple bottle. i use the sandlewood lavendar one on my sheets.. and while it may not cure sleeplessness, it smells better than cat arse.