8/16/2006

Soap to Go


After spending 15 minutes rummaging through crap in my bathroom cabinets trying to locate a missing contact container, I decided I needed to spend some much needed time cleaning out our supplies in the bathroom.
"Supplies" such as 5 year past expiration antibiotics, 2 year expired Tylenol, and bath soaps that were once "organic" have now returned to their original state of oil and some sort of fruit by-product, both of which have gone rancid and would be the last thing I would smother all over my body.

My sister, with her good intentions, went through a soap making phase where every attempt at a nice foot scrub, face mask, and latest interpretation of a patchouli handmade soap has ended up under my sink. Every time I open that cupboard, I enter a hippie like trance with faint reminders of my days at college in San Diego when half of my philosophy class would blow in on a cloud of patchouli scented pot. I digress...

I began cleaning out and tossing the stuff gone bad into the trash, and the good stuff back into the cabinets. I also developed the "not sure" pile. After about an hour, I realized that what was forming in the "not sure" pile were stacks of small travel shampoos and soaps.
My husband travels for his job, and has apparently taken it upon himself to make sure we never run out of sample size shampoo.

I decided to pile up a portion of what we have and take a photo.


I asked my husband about this new found love of small soap bars. His response was a look of confusion combined with "well...it's good stuff. I figured you might like it." Now I am stuck with all these products taking up much needed space. What to do?
As in all good households, if you don't know what to do with something, take it from one pile and put it in another. I decided to take the bars, bottles, and potions and put them in the guest bathroom. This way whenever we have a guest over they too can feel they have spent the night at the Doubletree, Hilton, Holiday Inn, or if they're really lucky..... The Red Roof Inn.


No comments: