10/18/2008

Making Adjustments


Larry has been home now for almost three weeks. That has been the longest stretch since September 2007. We have now finally gotten into a rhythm with each other. We are two fairly (some may say very) independent people, and spending one year alone makes our individual independence stronger. This can be both good and not so good. On the good side, Larry brought a lot of his "bachelor" living skills home. He does the dishes, makes breakfast, does the laundry before I have even thought about it, and even vacuumed without me asking for help. It's not that he was lazy before, not even close, but what has changed is his initiative in doing these chores. Before I used to feel like I had to "nag" him to get him to help out (I hate that word, but I can't think of another one). I find it a welcome change and even a bit sexy!

On the other side, our habits are our habits. We each have our quirks, and for the last year, our quirks weren't bothersome to anyone else. Larry likes to use the landing for a second shoe closet (see above), and uses the kitchen counter tops of an already small kitchen as a desk, garage workshop, mail collector, and a landing spot for just about anything else he carries through the kitchen. I get miffed about it, but then I think about the last year of not having him home and tell myself, "what does it matter? It's just stuff." I'm sure Larry could list a number of minor annoyances that he has had to put up from me; however, since this is my blog....... .

I had forgotten what it was like to have someone always around, someone to snuggle with at night, to talk to whenever I wanted, to hold hands with when we go for walks, to kiss with bad morning breath, and to laugh so hard with that I nearly pee my pants. I realize that my life is a half life without him. It lacks its radiance and its energy. I used to be the girl stuck in the "no, I'll do it myself," way of thinking, never letting myself see how doing everything with someone else is so much better.

Adjusting to life with him does come with acceptance. Accepting him and all his quirks without trying to make him conform to me is something I have to relearn. But with all that comes such joy and happiness that I don't want to spend another day, week, or year without him.


No comments: