10/20/2008

Slow Speech

One characteristic of mine is that of being a fast talker. I speak fast, I read fast, and I type and write fast. When I type, my hands are moving a million miles a minute. I make a lot of mistakes. When I write, as I get more and more into what I am writing about, my script becomes chicken scratch. This something that has been pointed out to me by Larry, to whom I reply, "but that is as fast as I think." Actually it is slower than the speed at which my mind races. I sometimes feel restricted by arms, wrists, and fingers. My speedy tongue is usually more pronounced when I feel stressed or am being reviewed for something.

Now that I have decided to embark on this path which will eventually lead me to being a speech therapist, I have to learn what is called "slow speech" or "calm speech." I have been working on it around the house recently. I will pick an article out of the paper to read, and make myself read it out loud as slowly as possible. It is actually really hard for me. If Larry is around he usually tells me, "slower, your still to fast. I can't keep up with what you are saying." It frustrates me. I feel like I sound like an idiot whose voice is normally played at a 45 speed has to talk at a 35 speed (that is in record player speak....I guess I have just dated myself).
"Thhheee Gooovvverrrnorr ttoolld rreeepporrtteerrrs....." Arrgh! It's annoying.

I also notice I make more mistakes when I try to slow my out loud reading. My eyes are two words ahead and my mouth is struggling through words without my brain completely involved. I would have never thought that trying to speak more slowly and concisely would be such a challenge for me. I keep telling myself that it will all pay off. The last thing I want is a child or even an adult already struggling with speech to have to decipher what I am saying to them. As I learn, I hope to eventually become more calm in speaking situations. Where once I rumbled through, I will hope to produce clear, precise words and sentences even if getting there frustrates the hell out of me.

No comments: