11/07/2008

The Florida Wrap Up

Now that I am back home, I am reflecting on the last week in Florida. As is always the case, the trip went by much too quickly. The "reason" for the visit was my nearly 3 month old niece, Norah "the Bean." When I asked my sis the reason behind "the bean" nickname, she said it was due to all the bean chimichangas she craved while pregnant. Apparently, all those beans are still having aftershocks in Norah "Queen of Gasser."




I'll admit I haven't been around a baby in a long while. Most of my friend's kids are well out of the baby stage, but I think I did pretty well with her. I fed her, burped her, put her to sleep a couple of times, played with her and made her laugh and smile (I think I must have a goofy face), changed a good number of diapers (did stay away from the stinky ones best I could), and had an all over good bonding with the babe. Of course, she will have no idea who I am next time I see her. Such as it is with long distance family relations.

I also had a great time visiting with my mom and step dad, my sister and Joseph, Wasatch the bird, and Lucy the cat. My sister is quite the little mommy and adores her daughter. Norah is so incredibly healthy thanks to her attentive parents and grandparents. Vanessa dresses Norah in some of the cutest clothes. Who knew a 2 month old has so many options in fashion? I didn't.



As for Florida itself, the weather was actually cool. It was unexpected since I packed shorts and skirts. Instead, I had to constantly recycle the two pairs of pants I had brought. Florida hasn't changed at all from the last time I visited. Still flat and humid with a lot of old folk that can't drive worth a crap.

The travel home was a pain in the butt. Our plane broke down in Denver, so I didn't get home until 1 a.m.. The cold weather was a quick reminder that it was now November. Larry is Hawaii, so I had to find my car in a T-shirt and flip flops in 36 degree weather. I could've complained, but it woke me up for the drive home.

I miss my family and wish we could all be together living in the same city. I hold out hope that someday my wish might come true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i miss you already.. well have been missing all week really.. and today was the first day without the bean butt.

*sighs* i dunno if i can do it man

bindiec said...

I wouldn't know what to do either. Unfortunately, I am no help in this department, but I understand the sadness and struggle you feel.
All I can offer is to give yourself one week. Try it for one week and if you feel like it just won't work than reevaluate your options, even if that means taking a cut in pay.
Your absolute number one priority is being a mom to Norah. How you need to do that only you can know.

- Big Sister Advice Column : )