5/03/2009

Random Thoughts

I have been trying to think about how I want to change the format of my blog for a while. Do I make it more personal or less personal? Do I share more of my thoughts, or focus more on pictures and family stories? I suppose the answer is in the title of my blog, Being Bindy, which includes all of the above. These last few months have produced what might be termed a "life change." As such I have been more reflectional and not really certain of what I might want to write about. I have thought about making my blog more about daily topics or events and less about events of my life. I guess I will just stick with my gut and go with what I want to. I should know by now that I have no ability to stick to a prescribed way of thinking, writing, or anything else. I shall just write about whatever comes to mind.......

Language Barrier
A few days ago I was at a garden center picking up a few plants for my garden. As I stood at the check out, a young woman walked up to the cashier and asked, "What is the difference between an annual and a perennial? What one lasts longer?" The cashier responded with an "I'm not sure, let me call Wanda." I was rather shocked that not one but two English speaking adults did not know what the word "annual," and what the prefix "per" meant. The cashier called Wanda, and after a few minutes (who knows maybe Wanda had to ask someone too) he responded that the perennials were the ones that lasted more than one year. I stood there, with a "Holy Shit" look on my face.
Annual: In gardening, annual often refers to a plant grown outdoors in the spring and summer and surviving just for one growing season, or better known as yearly.
Perennial: (per, "through", annus, "year") Perennials grow and bloom over the spring and summer and then die back every autumn and winter.
Definitions provided by Wikipedia.


Buyer Beware
Today I was grocery shopping. I stopped off to pick up some nuts. I noticed that Planters had a "new" nut package called "nut-rition." Nut-rition offered a mixed nut that was on sale, but then I noticed that their "normal" mixed nut was also marked down about a dollar less than the "nut-rition" one. I also noticed that the "nut-rition" was of smaller volume. I decided to see what the nutritional differences actually were. Surprisingly, the "normal" mixed nuts variety had 20 less calories and less sodium per serving. So for more money you can purchase the "nut-rition" product thinking you are getting a healthier product but actually has more calories and more sodium!! Don't you just love marketing? Buyer Beware.....

1 comment:

Keely said...

I love the way you express yourself through writing...don't change a thing!!! :)