7/31/2009

Cutting the cord


I have now entered into the world of alternative TV consumption, otherwise known as the other cheap meat. After testing my TV habits for two weeks, I found myself tuning in for two of the 14 days. One of which was because a visiting friend had a show she liked to watch. I found that this did not warrant $70 a month or the nearly $900 a year in crappy TV watching.

After going the rounds with the satellite company...."can we do anything to keep you as a customer? you have been such a great long term customer" ......blah blah blah, I finally cut the cord. Funny thing that although I have been a long term customer, and a regular bill payer, only now do they want to do "anything" to keep me as said wonderful customer. Some saying about wanting you now that you are gone comes to mind.

So it has been three days since the deed was done, and the only difference is the fact that I can't engage in drone clicking with the remote trying to find something entertaining or enlightening to watch. Does this mean I go without any and all TV watching? Nope. Like I said above, I have engaged in the "alternative" tv consumption. I have Netflix and iTunes, and today I spent the hundred bucks on a Roku Digital Player that plays Neflix and Amazon video on demand. Netflix has the "watch instantly" option, but rather than go through the pain of constantly hooking up my laptop to the TV, I will just be able to use the Roku like a DVR (without the monthly fee). I figure it was only $30 more for the box than what I would have paid for my month a crap programming. All that in addition to Hulu.com and there isn't much need or want for anything else.

I am all about freedom of choice, and if there is an option out there to do something different, I am usually on the bandwagon. I will save money this way (minus the $100 on the player), and watch only what I want to watch, when I want to watch it. Will I have to wait a bit for the 3rd season of Mad Men to come out on DVD? Yes I will, but at $900 a year....I think it is worth the wait.

2 comments:

Keely said...

I (we) love, love, LOVE Mad Men. It's our new favorite show.
Can't wait for the new season to start.

Aimerz said...

I love that you "cut the cord". I was about to and did for a few months and then for some reason felt I needed it again, but in my defense, it is only $29 per month...(basic cable.Ü I like that Roku idea though...maybe we should go to lunch and discuss...hee hee! Ü We have to before Fall...Ü I'm such a loser! Ü