9/11/2006

Opa!!!



This weekend was the Greek Festival at the Holy Trinity Cathedral in downtown SLC.
It was a madhouse, but a good time was had by all. We decided to go early on Friday to beat the crowds. At 4:30 the lines were only a half hour long. By the time we got our food and sat down, the line exceeded an hour wait! I love Greek food, but even I wouldn't wait that long for some Dolmathes and a Gyro.
After eating and watching the dancers, we visited the newly restored Cathedral. They did a fabulous job on the restoration. We were able to catch a short service and choir performance. Afterwards we filled up on the many pastries.


Saturday evening we went to the University of Utah game. Unfortunately I forgot my camera and was unable to take any pictures of the stadium, game, or scenic backdrop. The photos here are from the teams website.
Larry loves his alumni and loves following Utah sports. So we often find ourselves at games. This weekend was the first home game of the season. The Utes creamed N. Arizona 45-7. I enjoy football, but I found myself spending more time watching the people around me than paying attention to the game. For instance right next to us was a bunch of kids (in their 20s but acting 16) loading up their Coke's with rum. By the 4th quarter it was getting really interesting.

Sitting right in front of us was Mr. and Mrs Uppity Snuppity. They showed up with their matching fold away seat (we are in bleachers - cheap seats), matching sweatshirts, jackets, and blankets. Apparently they were expecting a deep freeze while there. I new I was in trouble when they pulled out their trail mix and dried bananas for their snack while Larry and I scarfed down hamburgers and Kettle corn. The male in the couple had a tizzy because when I stood up in excitement (imagine that happening at a football game!) as my foot every so slightly brushed against his lovely little port-a-seat. It appears that they are also season ticket holders. I told Larry he gets to sit behind him next time.

We finished off the weekend with a nice autumnish 6-mile hike at City Creek. Again, I forgot the camera. I was going to snap some photos of the newly changing colors. Some of the maples and scrub oak are already turning red. I will hope to remember my camera next time I am there, but for the time being I have found a website that has some nice photos. Check it out. http://travel.webshots.com/album/488975568VqMpeP

No comments: