1/14/2007

Hanging with a friend

It is Sunday evening, and I just returned from the airport. My brother-in-law was visiting for the weekend. It's always nice having Terry visit. He is one of those visitors that come into town with no expectations or requirements to "make the most" out of their time. He just likes to hang out with you and enjoys your company.
The day he arrived it was snowing like crazy. I was unsure of what to do to keep him entertained. But since Terry is Terry, we ended up going to Fiddlers Elbow and playing a few rounds of pool. It was a great way to spend a snowy evening. I myself, am not a "strategic" game player. I kind of live in the moment and to hell with what the next move is (not always a good strategy for life, but I'm learning). Terry, however, couldn't be more different from myself. He was trying to teach me the geometry of my next move, and although I would appear to be listening, in reality it was going in one ear and out the other. I would shoot, miss, laugh, and he would actually look disappointed, as if I did it on purpose. But that is Terry. I would come back with some remark about his seriousness, remind him it is just a game, and finally a smile would slowly creep its way across his face.
The next day, the temperatures dropped to fricken freezing (utah slang). Again, stumped as to how to spend the day, we decided to go to the Auto Show that was in town. I have never been to an auto show before. My expectation was that it would be a bunch of men running around drooling. I wasn't too far off. However, I did enjoy looking at the futuristic car designs that will probably never actually happen as well as some of the old classic cars. Larry and I had been "shopping" for a new vehicle as both our current cars are exceeding the 10 year mark (mine is 14 this year). We had been seriously considering the Toyota Rav4, but at the Auto show, I fell for the Mitsubishi Outlander. I think Terry had a good time as well. He found he could even fit into a Mini.
Later that night, I decided to try a recipe I have never cooked before, a Mexican Mole. It wasn't as easy as I would have liked as it was somewhat hard to find all the ingredients. I was hit and miss with substitutions, but I managed okay.

Today we didn't do much. We attempt to view some sites around town, but it was so bitterly cold that it was not very enjoyable. Terry is so easy going though, he never makes you feel as if he not having a good time. We just hung out, talked at length and laughed about certain bodily functions (yes I know, very juvenile), watched some football, ate some food, and then it was back to the airport. Here I am now already reminiscing. I guess it is always nice to have family visit when that family is more like a good friend.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sounds like a good weekend! The mole looks just like the picture!!