1/19/2007

What's in a name?

Well it is official. I am no longer alone in this world. The name Bindy, Bindi, or Bindie has finally made it into the mainstream. Given it was out of tragedy with the death of Steve Irwin that his daughter, Bindi, has come into the spotlight. But for all the "Bindi's" in the world (the few of us that there are) Thank You! Most people take their name for granted, as if it says nothing about who they are. Believe me, a name is very important, especially when you are the only one you know that has it.
I realize that Bindi is also the name for the dot that Hindu women wear on their foreheads as a decoration. Tell that to a bunch of 6 year old's growing up in Taylorsville, Utah in the 70s. No instead of it being a symbol denoting....... " the sixth chakra, agni, the seat of concealed wisdom. The bindi is said to retain energy and strengthen concentration. It is also said to protect against demons or bad luck." ....and producing a "cool" or "neato" as it does today, I was taunted with "so Bindy, where's Bork?" HAHAHA!

I'll admit that until a few years ago, I disliked my name and refused to go by anything other than Belinda (even though I never felt that fit my person not to mention the continued comparison to Belinda Carlisle). Now I love my name. Having "Bindi, The Jungle Girl" making the headlines allows me to say my name and have people actually understand what I am saying. No longer is it Cindy? Mindy? and yes, I have actually had people call me Dindy! Dindy? And that sounds better than Bindy? But now I say "Bindy" and they say "Bindy?, that Croc guy who died kid's name?" (I go with it), or they point to their forehead.
Now I am looking forward to stocking up my shelves with mugs, pens, pencils, key chains, stickers, and whatever else I can get that has my name plastered on it! The day has finally come where we "Bindy's" are no longer going to accept ambiguous trinkets! And the day will come when I can even hit my spellchecker and my page won't errupt with highlighted marks across my name (you should see this one light up!). That will be the real icing on the cake!

No comments: