1/21/2007

Lazy Weekend

Talk about a wasted weekend. I think I am on a record for the amount of time one can waste on a given day. Yesterday it was cold and snowing, so I decided to hunker down (is that a word?) and do nothing all day. I managed it quite well. I started the day with a hot cup of tea, as I have kicked my coffee habit (I deserve 3 gold stars please) some bread and a glass of organic apple juice. I went through the paper, which normally takes about 5 minutes, and asked myself yet again why I have a subscription. Then I turned on the news, kicked my feet up and surprisingly fell asleep sitting up. You have to understand that I never take naps, not unless I am sick, so this was a big deal to me. I woke up about 20 minutes later to a massive pain in my neck.
I got up, slightly disgusted with myself, and started to do some laundry, played with Zoey, and then decided to watch some of the movies I had rented. I first watch "An Inconvenient Truth" which was very good and very informative. It is a topic I already have a fair amount of knowledge on, but it was good to hear it all again. The movie is more like a college seminar. He (Al Gore) uses a lot of chart, graphs, and statistics to get his point(s) across. I recommend it to anyone that is interested in Global Warming and the challenges it brings. It is also slightly depressing to see how quickly these events are unfolding. If you are looking for the four horsemen, your won't have to look much further than your own gas tank.
On a lighter note, I followed up with M.Night's "Lady in the Water." I had heard a lot of bad reviews about this picture, so I was a little hesitant about renting it, but I will have to go against the mainstream and say that I actually enjoyed it. Paul Giamatti is one of my favorite actors, so I figured it couldn't be all bad. I will admit that it was his acting that held the movie together. I was surprised that so many people hated it. I love the "fairy tale" aspect of it. It was criticized for being so unrealistic. Well, duh, its a fairy tale! It is based on a bedtime story that M. Night told his kids. You have to have the heart of child to really get anything out of the story. The ability to imagine a separate sea world, sea nymphs, and bad, evil monsters is absolutely required.
By this time it was about 4 p.m. and I was still in my P.J.'s! I couldn't believe it. I decided that I was getting a little smelly and should take a shower. Later on, my mom called and told me how hot is was is Florida (no, I don't miss it) and that she is looking forward to my visit next month. I decided to do a half hour of exercise with weights, listened to some music, and then I curled up on the couch again with my pillows and quilt and read my book. Dinner consisted of Wheat Thins, baby carrots, and a lemon yogurt. Ahhh....the single life. Meals become whatever can be scrounged up out of the cabinets. Later, Larry called me to say goodnight as he was headed out for a reception dinner. He was standing on the beach telling me how beautiful it was, and I became very jealous. I still think it was a good idea that I didn't go, he has been very busy, but I am still green.
A few hours later, I went to bed. Now, I don't know about most people, but I have to say that was a pretty lazy day, enjoyable, but lazy.
Today has been spent doing make up for the work that I didn't get done yesterday. Oh well. Pay backs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I also liked it when we watched it yesterday. I often do not go by other people's opinions and usually like what others don't. Just me being me I guess. I take too many lazy days when I'm supposed to be working on my thesis like right now! Off I go!

Heather said...

I'm so glad to read that you liked Lady in the Water. This is a movie that has been on my list for awhile but nobody I know had seen it!