5/10/2007

Delays and such

After a month of not receiving any information from Utah State I was beginning to think that I wasn't admitted into the Speech Pathology program. Had my transcripts arrived? Had they been lost? I knew the program was somewhat competitive, but I thought my GPA would be good enough. I logged onto the account I sat up for my application, and sure enough I have been admitted-in good standing. I was excited, but at the same time somewhat angry. During the application process, the university stated they would notify me of my acceptance and then the department to which I am applying to would contact me with registration information.
Hummmm, here it is the Friday before the first day of classes and nada from the university. It is beginning to look like this semester is lost. I have contacted the "contact person" to ask what is up, but no reply. This not only sets me back a semester, but actually could set me back a year for the Master's work (depending on start cycles). Additionally, I was considering an overseas opportunity next summer in either England or Sweden for Speech Pathology with NYU. Now I am not sure how that will play out. I guess these are all just minor obstacles that must be overcome. I am sure if I get over my expectations and pre-set deadlines, everything will fall into place.

The Veterans hospital does have a speech and audiology clinic for me to volunteer in, so that's good, but their application process is so intense that it could be a month before I can start. Red-tape nightmare. I should know by now that this is a military institution and to expect nothing but a pain in the butt.

Things are moving along, just slower than I had expected. But they are moving forward. That is all that counts.

I would also like to say Congratulations to my friend Jody, who just completed the Vancouver marathon in under 5 hours! Congrats girl! Outside of sleep, I can't imagine doing anything for 5 hours. I think this is an amazing accomplishment.

No comments: