5/29/2010

An Amazing Dining Experience

On my birthday I went out to a new restaurant.  A new culinary experience that recently located itself to my little hamlet called Forage.  95% of the reviews I read were between 4 and 5 stars, so I figured I couldn't miss with this birthday choice. Plus I always attempt to make an effort to try something new on my birthday.
The restaurant is a small, renovated early 1900 house within walking distance of my own home.   Stepping foot inside the dining area, my first though was, "so this is what my house would look like if I vaulted the ceiling..," followed with a quick "no..no.., no more remodeling."  We were seated near the front window of the small restaurant (which can't hold more than maybe 30-35 people), and were quickly asked if we cared for tap or bottled water by the waitress.  The wait staff is kind and courteous, which I don't often come across in many of the more "affluent" restaurants.  I am always surprised when a waiter takes an attitude at $30 + a plate.  Like a tip is somehow expected just because the food is expensive.  Our waitress carefully explained how Forage dining works.  The chef's prepare a daily menu, you can choose the $90 (per person) 13 course event, which takes about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to complete, or the 3 course event (which still took us 2 1/2 hours) at $45 a person.  There is also an optional wine pairing at $30 each person.  Although I read about the phenomenal 13 course ensemble, we chose a bottle of Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc with the 3 course.
My first meal was goat cheese wrapped in a buckwheat crepe with fresh herbs (which they grow themselves in a small green house behind the building).  After consuming and indulging in the many flavors, the chef brought out the first of 6 "tastes" that are eaten in between the 3 major selections.  These were are wonderful little treats that kept the evening moving, and made for more conversation topics.  My second meal was a charcoal cooked yellow tail fish with a side of risotto which had so many unbelievable fresh flavors it was like a culinary orgasm ( yes I said orgasm!).  What makes this restaurant so unique is that the chefs have been able to make food out of things I would have never thought of as food before.  For example, within the risotto were fern fiddleheads which are the young fern leaves prior to them uncurling and leafing out.     
They were delectable, offering a bit of the flavor of asparagus, but with more texture and crunch.  I absolutely loved it!  We opted for the cheese plate which is an additional $7.  This was brought out before the third meal.  My third meal was a white chocolate mouse with fresh blueberries and hazelnuts.  Again, an amazing mixture of flavors and textures.  The end of the meal came with the check, a small macaroon and a lavender infused marsh mellow.  I can't even begin to tell you how amazing those surprise treats were.


Forage is definitely a new favorite of mine.  Every taste was a delightful and delectable experience.  The staff was precise in all of their movements and gestures.  The evening was an experience of culinary genius and creativity.  I am so thrilled to have this new addition to Salt Lake dining and even more so that it is a part of my neighborhood.  Forage is an experience that should not be missed for those that enjoy slow eating, lengthy conversation, and relish in trying new culinary experiences.

Top picture is of the dining area and the bottom picture is of one of their main dishes of pork.

No comments: