3/02/2007

Change is in the air

This morning I woke to four more inches of white, powdery snow. A "grrrr" sound came from my throat as I thought about having to go out into the cold morning and shovel it all. I stretched, sat up and looked out the window. Soft, white snow had formed itself into a large down comforter on my front yard. Shiny crystals reflected the sun's morning light, almost blinding me as I looked down at it. "No," I thought to myself, "I can't be mad at something so beautiful."
With the sun full in the blue sky, the snow quickly began to turn into water. I grabbed my coat and boots and headed out to shovel the walk and porch. The trees that were covered in fluffy white snow only minutes earlier, were now dripping with slush. One slush bomb found its way down the neck of my shirt. Cold, dripping water slowly melted down my back. Wow! I'm awake now!
I caught my neighbor, Alex, with his shovel in tow. "Morning!" I said. "Another good one." His eyes slowly focused on me as he tried to shield his eyes from the snow's glare. "Yep! I hope this is it," he said. I kicked my boots, grabbed the paper, and came back inside. My eyes struggled to dilate back to "inside eyes." I sat down at the dining table and looked out to the street. Yep, it might be snow, it might be cold, but it sure is beautiful to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet. I love snow too.