3/07/2007

A new day

This morning I woke up at 6:00 a.m and just stared at the ceiling for about 15 minutes thinking about my recent diagnoses. I have to admit that there is some relief to know there is something medically wrong with me, and the problems I have been having (some going back years) are not all in my head. After all the pain and anger, it came down to a simple blood test that I just asked for in passing. "Yeah sure, go ahead and test me for that too."
I turned on my beside lamp and stared at the little prescription bottle. The words, "take on an empty stomach, half hour before food" meant that I needed to take this now. I slowly opened the bottle. Thoughts rambled through my mind..."this is for the rest of my life, and I really want to be happier and healthier. I am medically unable to produce the proper hormone needed for my body. I shouldn't feel guilty about this. This in no way makes me less of a person. I am still healthy, and will only get healthier now that my body can operate properly." I said these words over and over again, but a fear still rose up inside me that I am now somehow broken.
Slowly I walked to the bathroom with that little pill in my hand. I filled a glass with water and just stared at the tiny, minuscule pill sitting in the palm of my hand. "I guess this is it," I thought to myself. I popped the pill in my mouth and drank the full glass of water. I stood there for a few more minutes, quietly retracing the problems I have had for so long. Yes, it is a pill everyday for life, but it is my life, and it is a life worth living.

1 comment:

Heather said...

wonderful post. very inspiring.