3/28/2007

The Lunch Date (part 2)

Samantha Marks. Her name brought butterflies to his stomach.

The email read:
James,
Yep its me. Blast from the past. How are you doing? I hope you don't mind me writing you at work. Carolyn gave me your info (you know what a blabber mouth she can be). I just moved back to town. I would love to get together and catch up on life.
Let me know if you are available.
Love, Sam

That was it. He hadn't spoken to her in over 8 years, and she just pops in like no time had passed. He sat back in his chair reading the email over and over again. He closed his eyes remembering the first time they met.
Mrs. Archer's 8th grade Art class. James had always kept to himself, drawing and painting whatever came to mind. Art wasn't just a class to him, it was his passion. Most days he would come into class, open his sketchbook and start drawing. Sam was more of a chatter box, always talking and laughing with her friends. James would often find himself looking over at her. Watching her talk, her lips move, the way her hair sat on her shoulders, he began to draw her, parts of her. First it was a knee, then her lips, an ear, and then it was her eyes. Within a few months he had pages full of her.
One day, as he was again busy drawing in his sketchbook, she came up to him and asked if she could borrow one of his colored pencils. "Do you mind if I borrow your grey?" He looked up at her face staring down at him. He couldn't think of what to say. He just sat there and shook his head. "Great! Thanks! I promise I will bring it right back." She spun around and went back to her friends. A few minutes later, she came back and gave him his pencil back, but instead of leaving to go back to her friends, she grabbed the chair next to him, pulled it out, and sat next to him. "You kinda keep to yourself, don't ya?" she stated matter of fact. "Uh....well yeah, I guess so" he stammered. "Can I see your drawings?" she began to reach for his sketchbook. "No." he surprised himself when his had came down on the book. "Oh...Okay" she replied. She started to talk about Mrs. Archer and the most recent project assignment. He just sat there, staring at her, watching her lips move. He remembered the faint smell of bubble gum lip gloss....
"Knock knock, you awake?" his assistant had walked into his office. Her voice made him jump out of his skin. "Yeah, I'm awake" he said. "Good, we are having a meeting on the Harrison project in 5 minutes" she said. "Thanks, I'll be there." She walked out of the office. He stared again at the email. He slowly reached for his mouse, again putting the cursor over the delete button.

TBC.......

No comments: