3/30/2008

The Debate Continues

Last night Larry and I went out for a bite and then headed down to the beach. We were going to do some night time Kayaking, but a front had passed through making for some very turbulent waters. We hiked around the rocks and took some pictures. I cut my toe open on a sharp piece of lava (what's new?).
As we toodled around, we began to discuss Earth Hour and its importance. Larry shared his opinion that Earth Hour itself won't do anything to cut carbon emissions, that the production from the energy plants won't change for that hour. This is obvious to me. I might be a perpetual optimist and even a bit naive, but I am no fool. I understand how electricity works, and that turning off your lights for one hour will not shut down production. In fact, our lights were off more than just than that one hour because we were at the beach. I began to debate with him.
There is probably nothing more mentally stimulating to me than a good debate with my husband. We spar words, ideas, and philosophies, and it never gets personal, nor is the expectation that one should change their opinions to conform to the others.

I posed to him, "then why do it?" "Why do millions of humans feel it is important, including me?" At first he didn't know why. "Because it means something!" I exclaimed. What I meant is that by taking one Earth Hour, turning off your lights, and taking action has meaning. It is taking a stand for change. It is a moment of unified solidarity for Hope that we can and will change our habits and abuses. A person such as myself, feels the overwhelming cruelty and and greed that governs a lot the world. Those like me need to feel Hope that we have a voice and we can make a difference. At the very least, it is an educational tool for the next generations.

If enough people stop buying a ticket for a particular flight, then eventually the airline will cancel the flight. If enough people cut their use (electrical, petrol, waste), then eventually the companies will produce less....cutting emissions. This might take decades to do, with more aggressive policies, but it can happen.

I sat on the beach watching the darkness fall and the stars twinkle. With the sound of the waves hitting the shore and the outline of the Mountains casting a mystical shadow in the distance, I thought to myself, "How can I do nothing? How can I just sit by and take no action? Doesn't anyone else see the beauty we have? Doesn't anyone else see the gift we have been given?" For me, that is all I have to ask to know what action to take.





No comments: