3/17/2008

Hello from Down Under!!

G'Day Mate! I am currently in Canberra Australia. We arrived last Friday (Thursday in the States) in Sydney. Having a blast! I have been keeping a journal, but the internet and access is not like it is in the states. I am paying $.61 a minute to write, but I had to do some school stuff anyway. Here are my journal entries.


Day 1 Sydney Australia

We have arrived on the other side of the equator. Yes, I did check to see if the toilet water flushes in the opposite direction, but as Sydney is more continental, they have changed the toilets (at least the one’s I have visited) to the European style “suck and flush.” First, I must give kudos to Hawaiian Airlines. It was my first time flying on Hawaiian, and I can say it won’t be my last. Talk about customer service! After being treated like cattle for so many years, It was nice to be talked to, considered, FED, hydrated, and entertained. First thing we notice was that a Australian couple with a young baby were sitting at the bulkhead row (the one with the wall in front). The flight attendants attached a small baby crib to the wall, so the baby could sleep comfortably (not to mention the parents). I found this to be a great convenience for parents with small children. Because of it, the baby was able to sleep soundly most of the 10 hours to Sydney from Hawaii. They also rent out small portable dvd players that came loaded with about 12 new release movies, T.V programs, and music. It made the time fly by.

We finally landed at around 7:00p.m. Australia time, 10:00 Honolulu time, and I have no idea what the time was in Utah. All I knew was we had been traveling for 10 hours and I was exhausted. We took a cab to downtown Sydney were our hotel was. The Intercontential Hotel was very posh and lovely. It overlooked the Botanical Garden and is a stone’s throw from the Harbor and Opera House. We were fortunate the Embassy here hooked us up with what is considered a good rate ($200 a night). We got to the room and unpacked. I jumped in the shower and afterwards noticed some unruly eyebrow hairs. I asked Larry if he would pull them out for me. When I lied down, and as he was ripping the hairs from my face, I started snoring. Yeah....I think I was really tired!


Day 2
We got up at 4:45a.m. (Jet Lag), and decided to get dressed and head out into the city. We thought it would be great to go watch the sun rise from the Sydney Harbor Bridge. Getting to the bridge we made a lot of wrong turns and climbed a lot of stairs, but eventually we made it with minutes to spare. We also found our way into a historic area of Sydney, Old Sydney. It reminded me a lot of Charleston, SC in the states. They call the area “The Rocks.” There is still quite of bit of excavation going on as they continue to unearth the history of the original peoples that landed on this continent. After the walk to the bridge, we made our way to a Starbucks for a croissant and latte. By 9 a.m. we were both a little tired and decided to go back to the room for a little rest. At 11 we decided to go to the Botanical Gardens which covers a large land mass. One of the challenges I have had here is the weather. This is suppose to be fall here, but for the last week, they have had record heat. All summer it was cooler than normal, but the week we arrive, they have record heat. Most of my luggage is full of light sweaters, jeans, and jackets....none of which I can use in 90 degree heat with 80% humidity. I did pack some light shirts and a few pairs of short, but it is still extremely hot. Around noon, we met Annie and Clay (Larry’s former boss) for a harbor cruise and lunch at the famous Manly Beach.
Later in the evening we took the train to the Olympic Stadium for a Rugby game. Rugby is more than a sport here, it is the culture of the people here. They LOVE Rugby. I was trying to learn the sport as the game went along. It seemed pretty simple, but very aggressive. I can’t imagine players are physically able to play pass the age of 30. The body takes a beating. It was fun, and I know Larry really liked it. The train ride was a sport in it self. It took longer to ride the train to and from the game than the game itself. The trains are pretty gross actually, not like German or Japanese trains. Even the Metro in D.C. is cleaner. We got back to the room and I crawled in bed and died. I think I might have entered a coma like state that night.

Day 3
Clay and Annie wanted to drive us around to all the beaches and surrounding areas. We checked out of the hotel and loaded up their car. We drove around to all the well known places such as Bondi Beach and Clay showed us the places where he grew up. His father was also in the military, so when Clay was a child, his father was stationed at a lighthouse on the South Head of the Sydney Harbor. He grew up at this lighthouse with views of the Pacific on one side and Sydney on the other. What a great place to have a childhood.
Sydney is a huge place, and like most American cities, the suburbs go on and on and on. After spending the afternoon with them, they dropped us off at a car rental place. We said Good-bye and picked up our car. Here they drive on the other side of the road, with the driver’s seat on the other side of the car. As we headed toward the highway, I kept saying “to the left, to the left.” That is the car mantra now. Once we got to Canberra, we took a wrong turn and drove a mile or two on the other side before we realized our mistake. Thank goodness there weren’t any other cars on the road.

Canberra couldn’t be more different from Sydney. It is dry with tall Eucalyptus trees everywhere. The birds are amazing, but it is a rather small city. Canberra is the center of the government here. The Parliament house it here as are the National Museums and Galleries. But it is strange that they are here and not Melbourne or Sydney. We walked around the city last night to try and find a grocery store for breakfast items. We were gone for 2 hours. There isn’t much here. I went to bed about 10 while Larry was ironing his uniforms. Around 11, a Colonel called. I about jumped out of my skin! Hello...it is 11 o’clock! I immediately got moody, “so does he need you to come wipe his butt?” I growled. Fortunately Larry knows me well enough to not take my sarcasm seriously. I like my sleep.

Day 4
Larry and I were up around 6, but Larry had to get dressed and ready for the morning of meetings he had to attend. I had some tea and breakfast, showered, got the laundry together for some washing, and spent a bit of time trying to get in some studying. It has been a bear trying to find internet access. Wireless doesn’t really exist, let alone free wireless. The hotel in Sydney wanted to charge $15 for an hour! That seems crazy to me, but I think Australia is a little behind on those types of technologies.
Around 10, Larry was finished for the day and came to pick me up for lunch with the rest of his co-workers. We found a nice shaded cafe for lunch in the Kingston District. Afterwards, we all headed to the War Memorial. We had the General with us, essentially he is the reason Larry is here. This a man that literally has the White House on his speed dial. I find I am little unsure of myself around him, and even though I know he is just a human like the rest of us, his rank and responsibility makes him seem unworldly. I chatted small talk with him, and will again tonight when we meet up for St. Patrick’s Day at a local Irish Pub. It seems strange, little old Bindy from SLC sharing a green beer with a 2 star General. Will someone pinch me please!?

No comments: