6/18/2008

Plantar Fricken Fasciitis

It's baaack!! About 3 weeks ago an old familiar enemy came pounding back into my foot and into my life. One day while running my right foot started aching, like a tooth ache but in your foot. I had to stop and stretch, but the pain didn't go away. I knew what this was having been crippled by it 2 years ago; damn Plantar Fasciitis. Podiatrists call it the "flip flop disease," but I call it a pain in the butt. I have not been stretching enough after running, so the plantar fascia and Achilles are all tightened up and barking at me. I haven't been able to run in 2 weeks and I am going mad. I do my workout dvd's and hike, but usually Mr. Fasciitas Fascist still makes its presence known even by doing simple chores around the house.

I refuse to sit on my butt and do nothing. I think that will only make things worse in the long run. I have to stretch more I realize that. I also know I have severe overpronation in my feet, thanks to 10+ of ballet. The problem I have is the my tendons and muscles are already so stretched out that I have to pull my foot back over my knee to actually get a stretch (a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea).

I have looked at splints they sell for this particular annoyance. It is obviously such a problem that they actually have an entire page in the Sky Mall dedicated to it. Any of you that have flown in a commercial airplane, know what a Sky Mall is. They offer some interesting contraptions:

I find this one to be especially comfy looking. And this is to be worn to bed!


This one looks a bit more doable, and it has an adjustable strap to yank my foot back as far as it will go. I am considering it.


Crap like this just makes me feel old and decrepit. I just want to be free to move the way I want to without pain and aches. I've got to go now, I need to stretch my leg up over my head and around my neck to relieve this pain today. Either that or hope I suffocate on calf muscle.


No comments: