6/29/2007

Its HOT HOT HOT!!


I think I am melting. High pressure has set up house over our fair state. Looks like we will be averaging 100 degrees for next week and possibly longer. These temperatures are not unusual for Utah, just not for June. 100 degrees is expected late July and August, but we should be in the high 80s for this time of year. That, and I can't remember the last time we had a drop of water fall from the sky.
This morning I went to the nursery to buy some plants for my herb garden, came home to find a sunburn on my forehead (yes I did have spf on) and arms. It felt like being on Mars, with the heat radiating from the ground into my body. The poor plants are just shriveling in their pots.

Earlier this week, I decided to go for a hike in Red Butte Canyon above the University. Although beautiful, this canyon lacks shade trees. It has a lot of scrub oak, but they don't do much for you at 95 degrees and full sun. I only made it up halfway and had to turn around. The heat was just too much.
This weekend my husband is working, so I will have to be creative in finding things to do that keep me cool. I guess I could turn on a sprinkler on my front lawn and do cartwheels through it. Not sure the neighbors would like that idea too much.

No comments: