6/25/2007

The Weekend

My weekend was a rather calm one. I, in typical "Bindy" fashion, had a slew of things lined up for the few days off: movie in the park Friday night (this week was the Neverending Story), afternoon hike Saturday followed by a nice dinner out, Sunday would be the Park Silly Farmers Market and Utah Arts Festival that evening. Sounds pretty good right? Well, none of it happened. First of all, the hubby was well.....pooped to say the least. He had worked a 14 hour day Friday and wanted to cuddle up on couch and be entertained. Unfortunately for him the movies I had rented were both in foreign languages; Motorcycle Diaries in Spanish, or Letters from Iwo Jima in Japanese, take your pick.
We ended up picking Motorcycle Diaries. I have to say this was a great movie in my opinion. I loved the story. A few years ago when it first came out there was a whole lot of hubbub about it and the result was a bunch of yuppie-types heading down to South America for a little reenactment of the story. After seeing the movie, I can see why people fell in love with this idea, however, I can't imagine that one could "recreate" such an adventure. This movie is one of those rare movies that really spoke to me. It's about finding out who you are, what your made of, and life defining moments that begin to draw the picture of the person you are going to become. It is also about friendship and the adventures that life offers when risks are taken.

Saturday brought warm temps and we decided to work on our fence and garden. Larry was building and I was mulching. After a few hours we were spent and hot. We passed on the hike, and went for a late afternoon movie at the Gateway Mall with a side trip to the Apple store for some updated software. We decided on the film 1408. One of my favorite genres, this little Twilight zone/Hitchcockian film was really entertaining. John Cusack did an amazing job. He is one of those actors that I have literally grown up with. I had/have a huge crush on the man ever since he played Lane Meyer in Better off Dead, really capturing my heart as Llyod Dobler in Say Anything. Give me the choice between Brad Pitt and John Cusack, and its John all the way! Back to the movie......it was mostly filmed in one room (room 1408) with only John Cusack's character. It was scary, but in a good way. Just enough to make you a little uncomfortable, making you jump occasionally (in my case, bury my head in my husbands arm). No gore or any of that crap to distract the from the story, just a good old fashioned fright!

After the movie, we were full of salty popcorn and decided to pass on the dinner out choosing instead to get some meat for hamburgers. It ended up being a nice evening b-b-q at home.
Sunday was again very warm, and I can't say why, but we just didn't leave the house. It was just one of those lazy days that included some housework, more yard work, and more b-b-q. We just didn't leave.
So my plans didn't work out, but ya know what they say....Life is what happens when your busy making plans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wrote a coamping story, Canadian style just for you and Larry.