6/13/2007

My pet peeves

I spent most of the day running around doing the "errand" thing. Obviously when this happens, one must encounter the plethora of folks going about doing the same thing. Most of the time everyone is very friendly, chatty, or they just mind their own business. Today though, a couple of my pet peeves surfaced.
Case #1: I entered the post office to find a line of people out the door. This was a slight annoyance, especially since I had specifically picked this post office due the general lack of bodies encountered during past visits, however it was somewhat expected with the upcoming Father's Day Holiday. Upon entering the lengthy line, I noticed that only 2 clerks were working the counter. Again, this is also rather annoying, but I haven't come to expect much from the post office (sorry Terry) in regards to customer service.
The kicker for me was that while we were waiting some 30 minutes in line, the lady in front of me still had not decided how she wanted to ship her items. As she went up to the counter, she stepped back to look at the board with all the prices and shipping information to try and find out what she wanted to do. It is the same board we have all been staring at for the last 30 minutes! She himed and hawed.....oh what to do. Give me a break! That just drives me nuts.

Case #2: I cannot stand the sound of babies crying in stores. Not that I find it annoying, it's more like it breaks my heart. I find it extremely disturbing and it brings out this bizarre protective mothery thing in me. My husband has had to restrain me from hunting down crying babies in stores.
While at the grocery store, I was walking down the bread isle when the crying began. I quickly noticed that it was a small baby too. Most of the time the baby is just cranky and the mother (or father) is trying to settle the baby down. I understand that grocery stores are not always happy places for babies or children, and it can become a bit of a pain in the butt, but what I don't like is when I see a baby crying, even wailing, and the mother is completely aloof to what her child is needing. That just burns me.
I realize that as a female that has no children, most people assume that I have no business in the motherhood/ parenthood department. I guess people can think what they want to think, but after working at a daycare, an after school program with 3-5 year olds, teaching middle school students (80+ a day), in addition to studying child psychology at the graduate level, I may know a thing or two about children. So when I see this mother that is spending way too much time sniffing shampoo bottles while her baby is screaming for her, I just want to scream at her, "Your ignoring your baby does not teach it not to cry, it teaches it that it cannot count on you for its needs! Continue this way and your child will learn not to trust or respect you!" I'm sure her response would be to mind my own business, but still..... I wish I could.

I don't know where parents have learned this whole ignoring your kid thing in order to eliminate behavior that isn't convenient or conducive, but it doesn't work. Kids are always needing something from their parents, whether it is being held and cooed, or the often times desperate need of boundaries. I could continue on, but I think I would be off point (if that hasn't already happened). After about 15 minutes, either the baby finally gave up, the mother actually took action, or they left. I was just happy to be able to settle down and continue on with my day.

No comments: