12/21/2007

Let it Snow and Snow and Snow

Here is a little winter story for ya. This is based on a true story that happened...oh....about 6 hours ago.

Last night while visions of sugarplums danced through my head, the snow came down and came down, and kept coming down until the sky had no more to give and had depleted all snowflakes from its reserves. Suddenly out of my slumber I awoke to a fright, the sound of my phone ringing at 6:00 a.m.. As I blindly followed the sound of the ring, I heard my neighbor's voice calling to tell me I was about to lose power. "What?" I exclaimed! Then suddenly a click and my power was gone. "How could this be," I wondered to myself? I grabbed my glasses, my husband's bathrobe, pulled on my snow boots and raced out doors to see what was the matter.

I looked to my right and to my left, and standing next to a big truck was a man from Rocky Mountain Power. He grumbled and muffed, and let out a low "hello." "What has happened?" I inquired. "The pole has snapped and I had to cut your power line or else it might catch on fire." "How will it get fixed?" I said with concern. "You will have to call an electrician to come fix it, and we will put in a new pole and hook up new wires." "Oh my!" I exclaimed. "Who is going to pay to fix it?" "You are," he replied matter of fact.

What the young man didn't know was that I had called good ol' Rocky Mountain Power last summer to have that exact poll check for safety because it sure didn't look good to me. We were having new electrical work done and figured now would be the time to have the poll replaced. The "poll inspector" gave the poll a clean bill of health even with splinters and chunks of wood missing.

I, standing in an over sized bathrobe and boots with laces untied, looked at this worker from RMP dead in the eyes and said, "hell if I'm paying for this, you guys inspected this poll in July and told me I had wasted your time because this poll had at least one more decade in it!" By now my voice was becoming louder and louder. See all this could have been avoided if someone had just done what I had asked them to do last July. I'll be damned if I was going to pay one dime for any repair. He gruffed and grunted at me. "Now you tell me how am I going to get an electrician out to my house for a job like this the Friday before Christmas?" I barked. He left and went back into his truck to call his supervisor. Upon his return, his tune had changed suddenly. "I have trucks on their way here to replace the poll. Here is a claims adjuster for you, and he will take care of you," he stated as he handed me a business card.

Seems like my story may have panned out, and the "inspection" done last July was still in the computer. Now they were the ones responsible. A sense of relief was beginning to flow through me. I came inside after he left. I searched around in the dark, and using my flashlight, found the business card of the electrician that did all the original work for me. I looked at the clock, it read 6:36. "I can't call someone so early," I thought to myself. But as I saw the snow still coming down outside, I begin to think I probably wouldn't be the only person that would need an electrician today. I decided to go ahead and call him. I first apologized then proceeded with begging. I begged and kissed ass until my lips began to chap and callous over. He finally gave in and told me he would come by soon. My neighbor came over and offered me her company and a cup of hot coffee. Anything to keep my mind off what I expected would be a frozen fun weekend.

To my surprise at 8 a.m. my grumpy old electrician showed up...again I succumbed to groveling and more callous development. He also grumbled and grunted (must be an electrician trait) about having to go out into the snow and get some parts. He left and I began the arduous task of digging out to find sidewalks. Afterwards, as my fingers began to form into ice crystals, I decided I should take a shower before the water in the water heater cooled. A few minutes later, while my hair was still wet, a Foreman from RMP showed up to my surprise. "I have a crew on their way. We should have this all fixed up by noon," he said with a smile. "We have it covered." A smile began to form from ear to ear. "Who is going to pay the electrician?" I asked softly. " We will," he said. My heart began to grow believing that all was not lost. I will have heat again, my food won't go bad, and Christmas will be saved!

Within moments, 6 large trucks pulled out in front. I couldn't believe they were working so fast! Amazing what a little liability will do to light a fire under some one's butt! They ripped out the old post, dug a new hole, put up a new pole, hooked everything up, and within 2 hours....Voila!...I have heat and lights and humming sounds once again! Yippee!

I finally got a hold of my husband. As I was sharing my story, I could hear blood vessels starting to pop in his forehead. I think he wanted to take someone by the neck. He thanked me for being his wife and for my ability to take care of it. There are a few moments when being a yeller does pay off. If I had not given that guy a serious talk'in to, do you think any of this would have been done, and all on their dime? Nope. It was my being a "Bitch" that got some action.

So now here I am at 12:38, on my computer, writing this lovely little ode to winter in my warm home being grateful that throughout my life I have learned enough to take care of myself and my home. It is adventures such as this that make one learn and become stronger. It may sound strange, but I am grateful for my challenges. Because of those challenges I am confident in who I am and what I am able to do.

Merry Christmas! May your homes be filled with warmth and gratitude, and of course.... electricity.

P.S. I know I started this out with a little "Night before Christmas" and then I tossed in a little Grinch, but in the end it was just me. What can I say...at least I tried to add a little Christmas to my story!

No comments: