12/10/2007

Lungs, Larynx, Lateral Lingula Swellings Oh My!

"The first rudiments of the larynx appear at the cranial end of the laryngotracheal tube, bounded ventrally by the hypobranchial eminence and laterally by the ventral ends of the sixth arches. Two arytenoid swellings appear, one on each side of the groove, and as they enlarge they approximate each other and meet the hypobranchial eminence, which will develop into the epiglottis"
" In the glandular phase, the bronchial division are differentiated by the epithelial tissue resembles glandular tissue. In the canalicluar phase, the respiratory segments and other parts are delineated and establish a relationship with the expanding vascular system."

I had my anatomy final today, and can now understand such statements as above. If you would have asked me what all this was 4 months ago I would have told you it was a foreign language. I worked my butt off in this class. I managed to earn either an A or A-. I won't know until Thursday what the final grade will be.
I enjoyed this class because of the content and because of the challenge. The final was somewhat comprehensive in that it took all the information we have been stuffing into our brains for the last 15 weeks and put it all together in the developing fetus; from conception to about 12 weeks. The learning was truly fascinating for me. I was like a sponge, wanting to learn more and more.
The only problem I had with the class was the lack of a lab. I would have loved to have been able to dig around inside a brain, a lung, or a spinal column.
The above statements were out of my notes for this final. As most could probably dissect the words, the first statement has to do with the development of the larynx, and the second has to do with lung development. One of the hardest aspects of a course like this is learning the location of parts, and the vocabulary used to describe those locations (dorsal, ventral, medial, rostral, caudal, etc..). All parts correspond to other parts based on their location. It is all very intricate, and at times made me insane.

I am happy to be done with this class, but I know it will follow me for the entirety of my schooling and career. No brain dumping allowed here!

Now on to the next final......


No comments: