12/06/2007

Taking a breath

The last few days I having been running around with my head cut off. It feels as if my life just went into overdrive. I have been spending a lot of time at the library studying so that I might end the semester with a bang. In addition, my friend Jed asked my to go over one of his big impressive MBA papers that he was submitting. This took much more time than I expected due to his inability to stay on track with the subject matter. The content was all over the place and needed some serious chopping. I gave him some focus and format suggestions. I am hopeful that he will implement some of them.

Somehow through the course of all my studies I have managed to be able to write and write fairly concisely. I did fairly well, actually very well on the writing part of the GRE. I say this not to brag. If you could have seen were I started out my first semester at college (dumb-bell English) to where I have manged to take myself, it paints a picture that surprises even me. So when someone asks me, little ol' me, to help write a paper, I have to remind myself that I can indeed write and that I am not the idiot I used to think I was.
My husband even asked me to do all the formatting and grammar for his papers at Naval Post-Graduate School. I cannot take credit for the content, but I did help him set out a purpose for his paper and to try to give it good direction. He pulled very good grades, and the feedback he received on one of them was, "this is one of the best papers I have read, excellent format." Gold star for me!! Oh ya, and for him (smirk). As I said, he wrote the paper, so he deserves all the credit, but it is nice getting some feedback even if it is through other people. I have actually thought about tutoring people on writing and research papers. I remember as a Graduate Assistant reading and grading freshman/sophomore papers, I was often appalled at the quality. I guess we all start from somewhere, and it is possible to surpass our own imposed limitations. This I have learned in spades.

I must let it be known that this blog is not what I remotely consider my finest work, so please don't consider this thesis quality writing (see.... that's me covering my ass). This blog is my free flow journal. I don't think about it too much, which is a nice break from my critical mind.

Anyway, as I have done exactly what I counseled Jed not to do, go off on a tangent, I shall return to my original reason for writing this post. Actually I have no real reason except that my mind seems like it is traveling a million miles a minute. I only wanted to take a moment and write to clear my head. My mother-in-law has stopped in for a few days to visit, and that has been extremely exhausting. I love my mil, but she is a psychologist.....need I say more??
Thank goodness it is only one more day, I don't think I can handle much more of this constant analyzing of EVERYTHING!! She is actually taking a nap right now, so I have managed to hide away.
I also did ALL of the Christmas shopping this week. I just need a few stocking stuffers' for Larry, and I am done! It has been a whirlwind of shopping, but I am so happy not to have to worry about it anymore.

I must depart and head back to reality. This isn't the whole story, but I have got to go do one more review before I start dinner. I think I will be turning in early tonight. My soft, warm pillow sounds soooooo good to me right now.

No comments: