6/02/2008

Feeling disillusioned

This afternoon while I was running around doing countless errands, I found myself behind a 1970s van. In the back window was a "Fear God" sticker in big black words. Down on the lower right side was a Jesus fish symbol. I found myself confused by this. I suppose I have been on this "Jesus" thing too much lately, but I am confounded as to how these two statements go together. While I was looking at the back of this van, attempting to understand this person's premise I heard an ad for breast augmentation on the radio. I believe the ad went as follows:

Woman "I just love my new breasts, how they look and make me feel."
Husband "I couldn't believe that this was my wife. She just looks so spectacular now."

Can I just say something here......THEY ARE BOOBS!!! Not the cure for cancer, not a Nobel prize, not even a nice pair of shoes, which by the way, are much sexier than two over sized melons bouncing out of your shirt. Sorry, but I don't think that if she looked bad before, having DD's is going to make her look "spectacular." I wonder how many starving children in Africa, or those surviving the earthquake in China could have been fed for the price of two big ol' plastic boobs? GRRRRR......

I came home and plopped down onto the couch and decided to read some other "disillusioned" folk. I came across this on Postsecret:


No matter how disillusioned I may feel sometimes, I have no comprehension of what it is like to be there, be in that place. I am safe at home, shopping, driving my car, running my errands, watching my T.V., taking to my husband and emailing my family, hearing children play outside, running on clean, safe streets, showering in warm water, drinking cold water, and I don't have to carry a gun with me wherever I go. No, I may not understand everyone and why people do what they do, but I don't have to live were he is. I wish he didn't either, but it does keep things in perspective, doesn't it?

No comments: