6/09/2008

Wedding Insanity

We left Saturday for my nephew's wedding in Pasadena. Larry got into Salt Lake Thursday morning, and the original plan had us leaving Friday to Ontario to visit with his parents. After a bit of rest, Larry decided to rest some more and leave on Saturday instead, but flying into LAX. We knew it would be cutting it close with the wedding at five. Our plane was due to leave at 1:50, but was delayed 15 minutes, so that only added to the stress. We also had a celebrity on board, little David Archuleta from American Idol fame. I ran into him outside the airport bathrooms (he was going in his, I was going out mine), and I said "Congratulations" to him. He was sweet and said "Oh...Thanks." So there is my little celebrity news. Now I'm special.

We landed in LAX and got our car. We only had a hour and half to get to the hotel, change, and be at the wedding. Panic started setting in. I had written out pretty good directions from the hotel website, but when we talked to the girl at the car rental place, she told us we were going out of our way and to take anther other freeway instead. Since she was a local, we thought she knew better than us. Well, we got halfway to our destination and hit total gridlock. Frustrated, we got off and turned around going with the original directions I had written down. That error took another 20 minutes of time we didn't have. We finally made it to the hotel at 4:40. We checked in, ran upstairs and and changed our clothes. We drove over the the Arboretum only to find we had to take a shuttle to the wedding location. It was now 5:00. We finally got to the site, and fortunately had not missed the wedding. It hadn't even started yet. We met up with family, hugging and kissing people we hadn't seen in years.

The wedding was, of course, short and sweet. My sweet little nephew was choked up and started to cry. It was so cute. His bride, on the other hand, was a cold as ice. I haven't exactly warmed up to her yet. She is what I would call extremely guarded. I don't think she smiled once, but from what I understand she is a nice girl, but just not real warm at first. Everyone says she is just very shy, but I am shy and I can at least make eye contact with people, shake their hand, and say "nice to meet you." She comes across as being "put out" by having to talk with you. Larry and I are just holding on to the fact that we know Josh, and he must see something in her that we can't.









My nephew and his now bride, have been together for about 5 years, the have lived together for at least 3 of that, no...probably 4 years. They just bought a house together last year, so for me, I found all the expense for a "wedding" to be a bit excessive. Of course, my idea of the perfect wedding being who I am today, is me and my husband, a few friends and family, a tropical island beach, and simple vow exchange. That would be followed by an all night party, a little skinny dipping, and sex all night until we collapse (TMI??). All this pomp and expense is just too over the top, especially for two people who have already made a commitment to each other and have for many years. This is just my opinion of course. Everyone has their own ideas of what a wedding is, and what it means to them. I guess for me, being married for 17 years, the wedding just isn't as important as the relationship, so my value isn't in the dress, the flowers, the pictures, etc..., but more on just the statement of commitment and love.

After the wedding the family took a few photos, then Larry, Terry, and I took a walk over to the "Fantasy Island" house. I guess you would have to be in your 30's or older to know this T.V. show, but apparently this is where they filmed the scene when all the guests showed up to meet Richardo.

See the little bell tower on top? Say it.....you know you want to....."La Plane, La Plane!"

We made our way back to the hotel where we were not only staying, but where the reception was being held. It was an open bar, which normally is not something I would really take advantage of, but after the day we had had, I just wanted to sit back and have a cool drink (of course I paid for it later, at around 4:00 in the morning). I started with a Margarita, then went to a Cosmopolitan, then to wine. We had dinner, followed up with all the normal wedding activities (money dance, speeches, etc...) I spent some time visiting with my father-in-law, whom I haven't seen in a year.



I also got caught up with my other nephews, one is going into the Air Force, the other is trying to figure out how to tell is parents he IS going to college back East next year, and the third is just being a goofy, normal 13 year old.








The rest of the evening was just more partying and celebrating. Larry and I spent most of the evening on the dance floor. My nephews were so impressed with how we "owned" the dance floor. I guess we don't care how old we are, we just have fun, and as Larry says, "I'm just trying to keep up with her." Later, I got "felt up" by one of the bridesmaids. Yeah.....don't ask. Let's just say someone had been hitting the flask a bit hard, and she didn't remember it the next morning. All I know is that I was dancing and suddenly felt a hand go up my skirt. Hello!!! Later, Josh and I were joking with each other when he found out our room was right next to his room. "Now if you hear a lot of pounding on the wall tonight don't worry about it," he jokingly said. "Oh okay Josh, now is that warning for me or for you?" I replied. He turned bright red, and laughed. No, I expect I am not a typical "Auntie." I think the kids like it though.
Around midnight, the last song played, and we headed up to our room where we both passed out. It had been a crazy day.

The next morning, I paid the price for my over indulgence of the drink. I was exhausted and so hung over it wasn't funny. We had been invited to a Mexican breakfast the following morning, and the smell of meat, peppers and onions first thing in the morning was almost enough to send me over the edge....again. Afterwards, we headed back to LAX where Larry had his flight back to Honolulu, and me back to Salt Lake. We were both fortunate that we each got business class. My flight left first, so Larry waited with me and when it came time for me to board, we kissed and said Good Bye. Larry was almost in tears, which made it hard for me to look at him. 12 more weeks.....

After being in that cesspool called LA, it was wonderful to come home to clear blue skies, green mountains, and a sweet pine smell in the air. The temperature was about 65, cool and breezy. I drove home, put on my PJ's, rolled myself up in a blanket, took a deep breath, and fell asleep in about 10 minutes. What a day!





2 comments:

Ghost Cat said...

Wow~!! fun weekend bin :)

side note: her wedding dress is the white version of the giant bridesmaid dress...

bindiec said...

You had to wear?

It was a pretty dress, and from what I understand she was VERY picky about how everything looked. I think she has that ever so common female disease...perfection.