6/17/2008

A worthwhile history program.....

For the last week, I have been watching the HBO miniseries, John Adams, on DVD. I have to say it is excellent. I am a history geek, and love to read and study history not so much because of the history itself, but because of how it often clarifies things that we as a society and government are dealing with today. We tend to believe that our struggles as a country are new to us, our trials as a free people, but as they say the more things change the more they stay the same. A statement echoed in this program.

John Adams is rather unknown and often overshadowed by the preceding president, George Washington, and Thomas Jefferson who came after Adams's one term presidency. The series starts with Adams representing British soldiers for a crime they did not commit. It continues on through the trials and tribulations of Adams through the American Revolution, the Declaration of Independence, his time as the Minister in England to the King, dealings with the French, his near death in Holland, and his short and turbulent time as President.

As I have been watching this program, I have enjoyed the relationship between he and his wife Abigail, who is his confidant and source of support and strength. Their relationship is the centerpiece of the program. The relationship between Adams and Jefferson was also a major character in the show. They both had deep respect and admiration for the other even though they did not always agree. In fact, Adams and Jefferson both died on the same day (July 4, 1826) which happened to also be the 50th anniversary of the ratification of the Declaration of Independence. Coincidence? Also presented was the imperfect side to Adams and his inabilities as mitigate and work with others. He also struggled as a father, unable to put his family's needs if not above at least equal to his own. He was harsh and had high expectations of his children.

More than anything, this series reminds the audience of what it took to become the free United States that we are today. The sacrifices endured to establish a government and to build a country were so high that I doubt there are many in this country who would endure to do so today. I walk away with a better, more personal understanding of this strange, awkward, and stubborn President. He was human just like you and I, but because of his actions and the sacrifices he made for freedom, he his very much a hero.


The miniseries is 3 discs and 7 episodes long. No sure the rating, but outside of one naked male getting tared and feathered, a female breast in a surgery scene, and the occasional "damn," this program is very PG.

I have added a clip just in case you might be interested.




My Dearest Friend,

…should I draw you the picture of my Heart, it would be what I hope you still would Love; tho it contained nothing new; the early possession you obtained there; and the absolute power you have ever maintained over it; leaves not the smallest space unoccupied. I look back to the early days of our acquaintance; and Friendship, as to the days of Love and Innocence; and with an indescribable pleasure I have seen near a score of years roll over our Heads, with an affection heightened and improved by time -- nor have the dreary years of absence in the smallest degree effaced from my mind the Image of the dear untitled man to whom I gave my Heart...

-Abigail Adams


No comments: