2/15/2007

A Strange, Sad Week

Unless you've been living under a rock (or don't listen to the news, which might be a good thing) then you have heard about the shooting that took place at a local mall, Trolley Square, here in Salt Lake. This is my first time really talking about it. I live only blocks away from the mall, and can be found at Trolley a couple of times a month to shop or to dine. It is easy to think that on any other night, I may well have been one of those shot. It is such a tragedy for this community. We generally go around thinking we are always so safe. After all, this is Utah, we are immune to such atrocities! In a rather obvious display, I now realize that this is not the case. It is true that this could have happened in Anywhere, USA, but it doesn't change the fact that it happened in my home town and that 6 people are dead.
Every morning the paper is covered, front, back and in between with stories about what happened. Who the victims were, their families and friends, the heroes, our amazing police and fire departments, and then this morning an article on the killer.
Thanks isn't enough to the off-duty Ogden police officer that was having dinner with his wife. Had he not acted so quickly and bravely, more would have perished.
I am conflicted about my feelings regarding the killer. He was a refuge from Bosnia and only 18 years old. He was obviously mentally disturbed, and I have no concept of what his experiences were living in a war torn country. But in the end we all make choices, no matter the experiences we each have suffered through. To make the choice to go and kill innocent people, leaves me little compassion for his life.

Fortunately, the mall is recovering as quickly as possible. The community is making a huge effort to go back to the mall to shop and dine again. As I was driving home yesterday, I noticed a very full parking lot, especially for that time of day. Additionally, starting in March, Trolley is suppose to start a major renovation project which will upgrade the mall, add a Whole Foods Market, and possible condominiums. I think this is exactly what is needed to help heal the wounds.

My many condolences to those who's lives are forever changed by this tragedy, and my many thanks to the police who had control of the scene in just 6 minutes after the call came in. The support and strength of these Departments will always be a reminder to me that this event was an unusual case, and this community is still safe and secure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have been living under a rock being sick. I do remember the story briefly. Very sad.