2/22/2007

Yellow Brick Roads.........

A voice from nearby cornstalks tells them "that way is a very nice way." Toto barks at a scarecrow who then says "It's pleasant down that way too!," adding "Of course, people do go both ways."

Early this morning I woke up at 3:30 a.m., sat up, my heart racing with a feeling of panic. Was it a dream? I couldn't say. All I could do was try to collect my thoughts, and get my heart rate down. I slowly laid back down, trying not to wake my husband. The first thing that entered my mind was the movie
The Wizard of OZ. Strange, as it's not a movie that I watch more than maybe once every five years. There I was, envisioning Dorothy on the yellow brick road at that point where she comes to an intersection. She looks down one road, down the other, and then down the third. The problem is that they are all yellow brick roads. Which one to choose? The munchkins just sang a lovely little tune telling her to take the yellow brick road. Not to mention the GOOD witch, Glinda, told her THAT road would lead her to the great and powerful Oz, and he would help her home. Now what to do? All the roads look the same from here.
I laid in bed, thinking about this scene over and over. Obviously, this is my subconscious way of revealing the fact that I am feeling like I am at a crossroads. It is true. The last few months have been a challenge for me as I have become more and more aware of my age ( I will be 35 in a few short months), reflecting on where I have come from, and become more concerned of where I am going.
I suppose the intersection Dorothy faced, is much like the intersection I am at right now. To choose, to make a decision that could alter your life and take you on a different path than the one you are currently on, can become an overwhelming concept. But then Dorothy comes across the Scarecrow, who decides to join her on her journey to the Emerald City. They sing and skip, and decide to just take a chance that the path they choose will get them to where they need to go.
Could it have been any path? Would have any of the yellow brick roads led them to the same destination, just offering different scenery, different friends, and other challenges along the way?
So that brings me to my early-morning heart attack. If I look around at my life in its current state, I am allowing myself to be bombarded with choices, options, many possibilities and paths to take to the point where I am stressing out. The question for me has always been "which path is the right path?" Which one will I be most happy on and have the most to offer to those around me?
I guess the question is not the destination, but how do I want to get there? I realize now that the only wrong choice to make is to make no choice at all, and to stay spinning in circles looking down each road, never taking the first step towards a new direction of possibilites.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bindy, Great post for many reasons. The vulnerability of our paths, and the choices that we can make. At 3:00 am and wide awake with the power of our iniative beating in our chest.

Time has a way of not being around the corner but being here now. This is your life now as they say. Where did you want to be at 35? Is this where you are now?

Happiness has only a small part in your decision. I believe you will find happiness in anything you do, that comes from your spirit not your choices. Fear though and consequences of choices are greater factors for many. The responsibility can weigh you down, do not let it.

Is it your responsibility to offer to others around you? When is your life about what you and Larry want? Or what you want?

Narrow down your choices and set down and talk about your time tables for your lives together. If we always wait for perfect timing it may never come.

There is a road for your journey.

bindiec said...

Thanks Lance.

Your words are empowering and uplifting.

Very much appreciated.

Heather said...

"I guess the question is not the destination, but how do I want to get there? I realize now that the only wrong choice to make is to make no choice at all, and to stay spinning in circles looking down each road, never taking the first step towards a new direction of possibilites."

I love this bit of your post. What a wonderful conclusion to come to! I agree with Lance - he articulated my own thoughts on the matter beautifully!

I've felt very much the same as you for a year or two know...like I'm waiting for something to happen. I've come to realization that I need to make 'it' happen except I'm not sure what 'it' is.