1/07/2008

Ringing in the New Year

Happy 2008! What a crazy couple of weeks it has been. On New Years Eve, Larry and I boarded a plane heading to Honolulu. We landed around 5:30 in the evening (Hawaii time), rushed off to the "Q" (bachelors quarters), packed up Larry's room and moved everything over to the Navy Hotel. Around 7:30 I took a shower, got dressed and we headed out to Waikiki for a New Years party with the Australians Larry works with. I was exhausted, but managed to put on a smile for all the people I had only heard about, but never seen. It is always challenging for me to meet the people that Larry works with. I have met Generals, Admirals, Diplomats, Ambassadors, Deputies for the Secretary of Defense, and top officials of many overseas military organizations. My struggle is being friendly, but not too friendly; being smart but not opinionated; being attractive but not sexy, etc... . It can be a fine line to walk. Fortunately, this "meeting" was less formal, as it was with a bunch of fun loving Australians whose only concern was whether or not I needed yet another glass of wine.

After ringing in the New Year by watching the firework display over the ocean, we headed up to the Colonel's hotel room for more celebrations. I had stopped drinking hours ago, but had a good time conversing with everyone, drunk and non drunk. The Colonel got a little flirty with me, kissing me on the cheek a little longer than a normal (normal being the traditional cheek kiss that people from other countries do to say "hello"). I think it was the alcohol talking. Around 2 a.m. we finally left. Poor Larry had to drive us back to base. I fell asleep before we even got to the freeway. I barely remember getting back to the room and to bed. It was 5:30 in the morning for us. It had been a 22 hour day.

The next day, Larry awoke to a bad cold. He was very sick. He stayed home from work two days, and I nursed him best I could. We did have big plans, but unfortunately none of them panned out. Friday, we finally moved into the condo that will be a more permanent place of residence. I was a relief finally getting Larry settled into a place of his own. We live on the twelfth floor overlooking a golf course, and the balcony faces the setting sun offering spectacular sunsets from the living room. Our first night in the condo I cooked tacos for dinner. Larry acted like it was the best meal he had had in months. I guess that's what happens when your diet consists mainly of sandwiches.

Saturday morning I found myself with clogged sinuses, a sore throat, runny eyes, and an eye infection. So much for pounding 1000mg of Vitamin C everyday. The writing was on the wall....I was getting sick as well. Our fun weekend plans were no more. We did manage to get out to the beach, only to get rained on. Yesterday we walked the Pali Hwy and lookout which was a nice way to open the lungs a bit and get in some beautiful scenery.

I do hope to be home in the next few days, but for the time being I am trying to rest and get better. Thank God for my girlfriend who has been house sitting for me. She has told me to stay put until I am well enough to travel.

It has been a busy start to the New Year, but I am happy for it. I am looking forward to a great 2008 and all the opportunities ahead.

No comments: