12/10/2006

Christmas Lights

I don't know what it is, but I love the lights of Christmas. More than the music, the goodies, or the gifts, it's the lights of Christmas that make the season special. Big bulbs, or little twinklers, white ones, blue ones, or multicolored ones. They are all so beautiful to me.

Last night as I was driving to my aunt's house for dinner, I chose to take the long route through the neighborhoods so I could stop and stare at all the lit up homes. Some houses just had a simple, beautiful strand hanging over their front door, others had every tree and srub coated with the multicolored diodes.

My husband (aka Clark W. Griswold), loves the lights as much as I do. This year he had grand dreams of a house radiating with the little bulbs. Unfortunately it was a mad dash to set up Christmas before he had to leave to do his military work in Florida. There was only time for the tree and a few strands of lights along the eves of the house. He pledges to complete his art once he returns. We should still have 6 days to enjoy his handiwork before the big day.

In the meantime, I can often be found in my living room late at night, sipping on a hot cup of cider, enjoying the beautiful little lights twinkling on my tree. The red one that lights up the glass angel I bought in Germany, the blue one next to it that shadows the the homemade ornament my cousin gave to me 16 years ago. And then there is the Santa that sits on top with its clear lights beaming his smile around the room. I remember the store in Charleston, South Carolina (next to the fudge shop) where I decided this Santa was meant to be on my tree.
I sit and admire the beauty and warmth of those little lights, and a smile forms on my face that I am truly lucky to know such things.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Gorgeous tree!!!