12/22/2006

Frozen Fun

As I had stated in a previous post, I looooooove Christmas lights. Last night, we decided to brave the elements and go check out some of the sights. A block or 2 from my house is a street titled "Christmas Street" at least for this time of the year. We stopped off for a nice looky-loo.





We continued on with our quest to seek more holiday illumination. If you live in Salt Lake, it is generally known that one must go to the Salt Lake Temple for a Christmas light fix. We turned our wheels North and went downtown.
This is one of my favorite buildings at Temple Square. The building is the former "Assembly Hall," and inside was a high school choral group singing Christmas Songs. The architecture is reminiscent of early American government buildings. My husband and I were commenting that the interior resembles The House of Burgess at Colonial Williamsburg.

Below is the LDS Temple. As a child, I remember more Christmas lights in the tall trees, but maybe that is just my child's eye and memory. I love the red and orange lights.




By the evenings end, my skin had formed into a nice ice shield. I think the oil in my pores froze thereby not allowing my face to take any other form other than a "bad botox job" look. My eyes were frozen open, and my nose was so red it was calling Santa from the great beyond. After about an hour at the Temple, we decided to head home.

On our way back to the parking lot, we decided to go through an old mall, one that is now eerily empty. The Crossroads Mall was a place where I would spend many Saturdays in my youth. To walk through it now, as it is about to be torn down to make room for a newer mall, is somewhat sad. I remember walking the corridors, looking in all the stores, having lunch, going to movies, and generally wasting time like all good teenagers can do. As a young girl, I marked my independence by taking a bus (with transfer) to the Crossroads mall. I did manage to take the wrong bus home, but it was still a great day, and it was celebrated at this place. I am happy to see the new plans laid out for this part of downtown, however, I guess as we get older and see these places of our youth torn down and/or replaced, a small part of ourselves goes with it.


P.S. My flickr has more temple light shots if you are interested.

No comments: