12/31/2006

Hess-o-mania

A few evenings ago, I watched Nacho Libre for the first time. It is a fun, quirky movie, with sweet undertones and a great soundtrack. It has a cult following here in Utah because the creators are a husband & wife team from Utah, or at least went to BYU for film school. They also created another popular movie called Napoleon Dynamite.

When I arrived to Utah, Napoleon Dynamite had just arrived on DVD. I hadn't heard anything about it in Florida. In Utah, people would go on and on about this movie, quoting from it word for word. Someone had the soundtrack and played it at a dinner party I attended. The music is funky organ music that fits the movie, but isn't exactly the best backdrop for a party. When people heard that I had not viewed this particular picture their faces would contort into a mixture of pity and shock. I decided it would be prudent for me to borrow my cousin's DVD if I wanted to have anything to talk about with people at future gathering. I made some popcorn, put in the DVD, and nestled in for this life altering experience. It was good, but it did take a couple of viewings for me to really get into it. To me, it is very much a Utah film with Utah humor. You have to understand the people here (and Idaho) to really appreciate the film.

When Nacho came out last summer, I wasn't all that interested in seeing it because after about 5 minutes of Jack Black, I'm done. I like him and really like his inhibitions, but it's that "overacting" he does with his face that starts to get a little old. I decided to rent it, and both myself and my husband (who didn't care for Napoleon Dynamite at all) really liked it.
After watching it, I immediately downloaded the soundtrack, and the next morning I found this in my shower:Now I can't be sure, but to me it looks like the "little people" wrestlers that growl and sound like little pigs. If you haven't seen the movie than you have no idea what I am talking about. This little creation was done by my husband, apparently killing time while letting the conditioner set. Media used - steam and glass mixed with human fingers.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Excellent art!! I wish you a Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Do you like my stretchy pants?