12/24/2006

Merry Holiday?

Yesterday I joined the thousands of other last minute shoppers, and decided to brave the mall for some stocking stuffer's. I had done a lot of online shopping this year and had not yet actually been to a mall in months.

While checking out at a sporting good store, I found myself gabbing away at the 16 year old behind the counter. As I finished paying, I started to say "Merry Christmas!" to which he replied "Happy Holidays." I walked away feeling rather awkward, as if I was insensitive to the possibilities that he isn't Christian or that he may not celebrate Christmas. I wandered off, going over the scenario in my mind, "was I rude, should I not have said anything?"
I never really thought much about the words offering holiday cheer...until this year. Suddenly there is a new line that has been drawn on both sides of the political spectrum, and neither side is budging. Now it is possible to offend someone when wishing a "Merry Christmas." It is also some sort of political statement to wish someone a "Happy Holiday." What the hell is going on? I can't win!
As I proceeded with my shopping itinerary, I continued the political/religious discourse in my mind. On one side, I am knowledgeable in the fact that there are a whole lot of individuals who do not celebrate Christmas. This is something that I try to remember as I look at all the Christian celebration going on around me (one could argue that what we see is not very Christian at all, but just a cultural guideline for gluttony, but I digress). In fact, I look fondly if not even enviously at the simple Menorah that is lit at the Jewish center up the street. It seems to speak volumes about the Jewish faith, whereas the blow up Santas' and fighting adults over the latest Sony PlayStation doesn't say much for Christianity. I have had the experience of wishing someone a "Merry Christmas," to which they responded with a "Happy Hanukkah." I didn't think anything of it. In effect, it was just two people wishing the other a great day, a celebration of our faiths and diversity. Kindness, not conversion.

On the other side of the issue, one can bypass the "Merry Christmas," and enter the dimension of "Happy Holidays." Apparently by doing so you now declare yourself a whiny liberal. Little did I know that saying two words, words that are meant as a salutation, could have such a visceral reaction in some. I personally have been known to use both the "Merry Christmas" and the "Happy Holiday" in the same conversation. Confusing I know. My response to this recent attack on the most basic of holiday cheer and greetings, is GET OVER YOURSELF!! Find something else to argue about and leave good ol' "Happy Holidays" alone! I find it unfortunate that we in this country are so sandbox oriented. "You can't play in mine unless you vow only to use "Merry Christmas"." I don't understand it. To me it sucks the joy out of a simple, basic, human need to interact with others, and mutilates it until someone is standing on their mole hill declaring themselves the victor.

In the end, it should be the thought that counts. I believe most of us were taught that concept from a very young age. If someone wishes you well, offers a greeting, or just a "bless you" when you sneeze, just take it for what is it; someone taking 3 seconds to stop and acknowledge your existence. In this crazy, self centered world, it's nice when someone cares enough to notice.

So have a very Merry Christmas, and a spectacularly Happy Holiday!!!

No comments: