7/07/2008

Just another Sunday on Island


Yesterday Larry and I went Kayaking here at Kaneohe Bay. We spent about 4 hours around the bay and made our way out towards Turtleback Rock near the edge of the barrier reef. The day was filled with multiple water fights, playing chase with dozens of turtles, a lost pair of sunglasses, and a fancy new sunburn.


At 5:30 we had to attend a reception at the Australian Consul-General's home. The Minister of Defense was in town and so all the "in" people were there. It would be comparable to Secretary Gates visiting a Diplomats home in another country. It was a big deal, and the whole time I am thinking "what the hell am I doing here?" Fortunately everyone was low key and friendly. The house was amazing with amazing views looking out over the ocean. I never really know what to do or say at these events. It was also a bit of a coming out for me. All these people had heard about this mysterious wife that Larry talked about, but no one had ever actually seen this person. Just a little bit of pressure....


After the crowd began to clear out a few of us continued with a more informal chat. My name came up, of course. Most Australians find my name makes them at ease, as if I am one of them if in name only. They joked that a "bindy" is like a sticker in a weed plant in Australia. I joked, "oh so I am a minor irritant then?" They laughed. "I suppose my husband may or may not agree with that depending on where he wants to sleep tonight." Another Aussie came to my rescue, "I know 4 Bindys, so it is more than a weed." Whew! That's a relief.

We were invited to the Consulate's house for some pizza and wine/beer and talked until about 11:30. We drove home and I crashed from pure exhaustion. Poor Larry had to get up at 5:30 to go to work. I slept until 8:30 and needed every minute of it.

No comments: