9/11/2007

A Conversation

The phone rings. I look up at the clock on the wall. It reads 8:30. I think to myself, " who could it be? Larry isn't due into Honolulu until 10:00?" I look at the Caller ID. It reads his name. I pick up the receiver, "Larry? Where are you?" "You'll never guess" he replies in a growly voice. "Well you should be somewhere over the Pacific right now, but as I am talking to you I am guessing that you aren't," I said with a little laugh in my voice.
"I'm in L.A." again with the growl. Shocked that he had only gone a few hundred miles in the last 5 hours, I asked him what had happened since his 3:30 boarding, which should have been an 11:30 boarding originally. "We boarded the plane, went out to the Tarmac, and sat in the plane for the entire movie, Fantastic Four. We finally got off the ground at 6:30. With all the delays one of the pilots passed his FAA mandated crew rest, so we had to stop in L.A. for another pilot."
"Holy crap!" I said. "So are you staying in L.A. or are you going on to Honolulu?" He cleared his throat,"We are leaving here shortly for Honolulu, which puts me in at 2:00 a.m. our time."

The funny thing about this entire ordeal is that earlier in the morning while we were eating breakfast I told him that I didn't think it would be a good travel day and that he should stay home and go out on Tuesday. I thought it would be a beautiful day for a hike and a picnic. He said he needed to get to work because they were expecting him. I can't fault him for his work ethic, but I still think it is kind of funny. It's a running joke in our house that I am usually right about things (no, not just because I'm the wife, but actually because I tend to see things better than he does), and he never listens to me and ends up paying the price. It is hilarious.... for me anyway. I guess that sounds bad, huh? I do feel really bad for him though. This kind of travel really sucks.

I also shared with him my medical news which confounded him as much as it did me. "The medication must not be working. It must be the wrong type for what you need. What is she going to do?" he asked with a lot of concern in his voice. "She is upping me from 50mcg to 75 mcg. I don't know if it will do it, but I realize that this takes time to get right, so I am trying to be patient" I responded. "75mcg! Geez! After all the improvement you already have made, what is going to happen with an increase? Are you going to sprout wings?"
I laughed at his response. "Maybe I will. Then I could get you to your destinations on time."

No comments: