9/05/2007

Today I fell in love

This afternoon I was waiting outside a restaurant with my husband for a late lunch/dinner. As I sat on the bench out in front of the restaurant, I stared at six lanes of traffic speeding by. Out of no where was a small, grey dog coming right for me, through all the traffic. My husband and I jumped out to stop the cars, and the dog continued on his mission towards me.

Jumping out in front of cars to save an animal is not unusual for me, maybe not that smart, but definitely falls in line with who I am. Shortly after moving back here, I was driving down a very well traveled road when I came across a mama duck and about 9 ducklings. She, obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed, was about to find herself and her babies to be road kill. I slammed on my breaks and turned the truck sideways to block traffic. Horns and all, I got out and ran those babies and mama through 4 lanes of traffic. I even had one old man act like he was going to run me over as well. I stood in defiance in front of his car, and if lasers could actually come out of my eyes, he would have been blown to smithereens. They all made it to the other side safely. I came back to my truck, went about my business, and everyone was happy (except for the old grump, but he is probably never happy).
I guess that was a side story. Back to today.....
So this dog was about to unknowingly commit suicide, but fortunately he made it safely to my waiting arms. It was immediate attachment on my part. He was a beautiful sheep dog with deep brown eyes that said, "take me home with you and make me yours." He was also tagged. Out of obligation, and some sort of karma thing my husband was yammering on about, we called the owner of Boomerang (that's his name). No one home. Hummmm....."I guess we will just have to take him home with us. Maybe the owners don't want him anymore." I said with hope in my voice.

We put him in the back of the truck while we ate our food. After we finished we came out to find him barking away. I felt a sense of excitement inside me that I was going to be going home with this little guy and making him part of our family. You see, I had already fallen in love with him. Larry, the honorable man that he is, decided we need to try the address on the tags to see if anyone was home. So we drove by, knocked on the door. Nothing. Yippee!
I was covered in hair at this point and already having dreams of running in the park, or playing catch with this perfect little dog. As we turned away from the house, a white pickup pulled up beside me and asked me to roll down my window. It was Boomerang's family out looking for him. Damn! I wanted to cry. Then I saw the little boy who was so happy he had found his dog. I realized that in my own selfishness I forgot about what it feels like to loose a pet.

We drove back to their house, and the family was so thankful and happy. Apparently he had jumped the fence during the thunderstorms this afternoon. Boomerang ran to the backyard and brought his ball out to Larry to play catch. All too soon it was time to say goodbye. We drove away both a little misty eyed.
Today I fell in love with someone I only knew for a moment, but a moment was all it took.

No comments: