9/08/2007

Paint, Gyros, and a Find

This last weeks has been a mix bag of events. Most of the week was filled with the chore of painting our house. We have a brick home, however, through the years of homeowners (1942 and on) the bricks had been the victims of unruly drill bits, cable cords, electrical boxes, over-sprayed paint from trim, and oxidation from metal awnings. The brick was in bad shape to say the least. I have been wanting to paint it ever since we moved in, but things take time, and other steps needed to be done prior to paint. Finally, we got to the point where it made sense to go ahead and get it done. We still have to paint the porch and we are adding shutters around the windows, but are pleased with the cohesive look.




Thursday brought about the Annual Greek Fest. Actually Thursday was a special night, normally it doesn't start until Friday, but we went Thursday too. Friday afternoon (prior to massive crowds) we met up with some friends for a little Greek food and fun. I had forgotten to bring my camera, so I took pictures with Larry's cell phone.




I really enjoy the dancing and music. The food is great too, but I do have to say that for overall flavor, Pensacola's Greek Fest was a bit better. I'm sure it has more to do with quantity vs. quality, but my opinion is that Pensacola's offers more spices and variety.

Additionally, I have been on the prowl for a dining table for my house. I actually have one, but it is really big, too big for our small dining room in this house. I love my dining table and have had it for 13 years, but it just is too big for this house. So I have been looking for a round table that would fit better. I had about given up because of price and/or quality when yesterday I came across this little beauty at a second hand store...



It is an old American Oak table, solid, with beautiful feet. I will be stripping the top because it has layers of old wax on it. The center has a pedestal, which is lying to the side in the first picture, but Larry did some repairs on it last night. We split the center and found a virtual history of food ground down the middle. It was disgusting and had to be removed with a chisel. We are really happy with this little find and will have it in our home for years to come. We still have our other table, but have disassembled it and have it lying under a bed for safe storage.

It has been a fun, but busy week. I am looking forward to a day of rest tomorrow (with studying...oh well).

No comments: