5/26/2008

Birthday Wishes

Yesterday I celebrated my birthday. It was a calm, relaxing day at home with my favorites. I had originally planned on trying something new and adventurous (my usual birthday request) like a balloon ride in Park City or hang gliding at the point of the mountain, but the weather was uncooperative to any outdoor joy rides. It has been a rainy week here in Salt Lake. Knowing the hot summer ahead, I can’t complain. I realize the gift that rain is living in a desert climate even if it impacted my birthday desires.

I awoke my birthday morning with a bizarre incident. I think I was dreaming, but not really sure what about, and suddenly out of no where the strongest smell of flowers came into my nose. The smell was so intense, so permeating. I think it was roses or a combination of roses with other flowers. I was somewhere between the dream and waking up (that place in between) and the smell was still so strong. I thought maybe I had left a window open and the fragrance came in from outside. Nope. Then I thought maybe Larry had set some flowers by the bed, but he was still asleep next to me. After a bit, the fragrance dissipated and I went back to sleep. I know it sounds strange, but I think someone or something(?) gave me flowers for my birthday. I have heard of things like that happening, and have some strange things happen to me before, but I have never had a smell so strong as this one. Crazy? Probably, but I don’t care. I suppose some neurologist could give me a million reasons for why I smelled what I did, but I doubt I would believe them. I just have a feeling about this one.

Larry started out my birthday with singing happy birthday to me, and giving me my present from him....


You think the man knows me? He bought it in Hawaii, and knowing him he put a lot of time and thought into buying it for me. The Turtle is significant to Hawaii, and it also means "family" to the Hawaiian people. I looks beautiful, but the meaning behind it makes it more special to me. I later opened my gifts from my mom. She added another charm to my charm bracelet and made me another beautiful quilt.

She is so talented. I am trying to convince her to start a quilt business. The woman has no confidence in herself!! I loved all the bright colors in this one. I decided to use it as a center piece in my living room and change the colors from drab beige to bright and light. That is more me anyway. I love colors.

For breakfast Larry made me waffles and a homemade fresh blueberry sauce. Mmmmm......yummy. We laid around the house all morning. Larry gave me 18 spanks on each cheek (which really hurt by the way), and then putzed around the house all afternoon. I planted some blackberry vines, blueberry, and current bushes. I love current jam, so I am am looking forward to making jam in the future.

We had planned on going out to dinner for my birthday, but as it was Sunday everyplace I like was closed. We came up with a quick "Plan B” and grilled some steaks and corn on the cob. The weather was cool, but perfect to sit out in the dark with candles and watch the clouds overhead.
Larry had made me a birthday cake per my request. I decided to pass on the gooey chocolate chocolate chocolate cake, instead asking for a Lemon Pound cake with a cherry compote. He did very well, and made it to perfection.


Around 10:30 we finally went in and did the dishes. I think I had worn Larry out because he crashed on the couch 30 seconds after he sat down. Poor guy. We went to bed and I snuggled up into him to get warm. He wished me a happy birthday again and kissed my face. We both fell asleep rather easily and happily. It was a great birthday, and a wonderful way to start a new year!

I was listening to a lot of music yesterday and Jack Johnson's Upside Down played. I felt it really painted a great picture of how I feel today and how I feel about my life. I included it on my playlist....enjoy!

No comments: