5/31/2008

Lost Potential

I recently watched September Dawn. I have to say it was pretty damn awful. The acting sucked (I actually fast forwarded through a sobbing death scene because it was so hokey), and the story line was full of such blatant propaganda I lost count of how many times I rolled my eyes. Yeah, next time you see a Mormon give a fire and brimstone sermon let me know, that would be something to see. The sad part is that it had the makings of what could have been a great historical pioneer tragedy, but it got lost in trying to "expose" the Mormon church.

I know enough about the Mountain Meadows Massacre to know most of what took place, at least that which is published. The tragedy is in what happened to those innocent travelers, and how events played out. The movie lost that focus and instead spent most of the time trying to vilify Mormons. I could spend this time writing by going over the actual accounts that took place before, during, and after the massacre, but why do that when I have the Internet and amazing links that have already done all the work for me? The law department at the University of Missouri at Kansas City has an amazing site on the events that happened, documented accounts, actual testimonies and depositions, etc...., and no bias for or against the Mormon church.

So back the movie....I think as a Utah born and raised non Mormon gal, I could probably lower my standards and jump on the "those crazy Mormons" band wagon, but then that would just be unacceptable for me. I think the movie sucked pure and simple. The only part of the story that I liked had absolutely nothing to do with the real history. The story centers around a love story between a young Christian girl (from the Fancher Party) and a young Mormon boy. The reason I liked that part is because it reminded me so much of my own trying youth as....you guessed it....a young Christian girl dating Mormon boys. So that part of the story was okay, but as I said it had nothing to do with the actual history. I guess like Titanic, they had to build a story around something.

The Mormon church, as far as I can tell, is slowly starting to take some responsibility for what happened. They still defend that Brigham Young was not involved, and as there is no evidence (at least none that I am purvey to) to actually support his knowledge of and/or involvement in, I will have to stick on the side of evidence. Do I think there is a possibility that he was aware of what was happening? Well....all I have to do is look around today and see how much the church meddles into everything that does not agree with its doctrine. In fact, this last week the Governor announced he is again trying to get the liquor laws changed in the State (oh, and the guy is Mormon) so that we may be seen as more "normal" to outside business interests. KUTV, a local news channel, thought they would get their two cents in and I paraphrase "no liquor laws have been changed in the last 70 years without the consent of the church." Hummmm, this is 2008 and yet a theocratic government apparently still exists in the U.S. . So, do I think it is possible that Brigham Young may have had a hand in what occurred that day 150 years ago? Although I can't live here and not believe it's possible, I will have to stick with the evidence. In the end documentary evidence is sturdier ground to stand on than circumstantial, unless anyone can show me otherwise.

Save your money on rental fees and buy a book on the Mountain Meadows Massacre if you are interested in the history. The truly unfortunate aspect is that the people that were slaughtered that day should have been honored in this movie. They were martyred sure, but not honored. They deserved better than this.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like your post, but here is a little more information

"This is loving our neighbor as ourselves; if he needs help, help him; and if he wants salvation and it is necessary to spill his blood on the earth in order that he may be saved, spill it....if you have sinned a sin requiring the shedding of blood, except the sin unto death, would not be satisfied nor rest until your blood should be spilled, that you might gain that salvation you desire. That is the way to love mankind."

Brigham Young - Sermon February 1857

Anonymous said...

Here's another interesting bit of information to broaden the perspective of the above comment:

http://www.shields-research.org/General/blood_atonement.htm

bindiec said...

Thanks to you both Anonymouses (?).

My discussion regarding September Dawn was that of a historical event that happened in America 150 years ago. It was also what I considered a poor movie. My interest in the theology is as it relates to the history in this story, not to inflict or endure religious battle woods.

There is obviously much contention between those in the faith, and those that have issue with the faith. Although I do have issue at times with the church's political and social impact on my life in Utah, it is not my faith, so I must remain neutral and try to stick with factual evidences as they have been produced through documents of those involved at the time.

I appreciate the interest and comments.
Thank you for sharing.