5/24/2008

My Cure

Last night I saw The Cure in concert. It was amazing and crazy loud. I think my head is still ringing this morning. I had a blast, and although The Cure is not his favorite band, Larry enjoyed himself as well.
I had purchased tickets to see The Cure last August for an October performance, but they rescheduled the concert for yesterday. It was not a great move in my opinion. They were nearly sold out in October, but because of the holiday weekend, there were a lot of empty seats. We showed up around 8:30, choosing to miss the opening act. After watching a few videos of this band I had never heard of, I knew that there wouldn't be a problem missing their performance. Right away I noticed that Larry and I stood out like sore thumbs. There is nothing like 40 year olds dressed in their best former Goth attire. Balding heads and expanding waistlines with red Mohawks and black, lace boosteias was enough to make me giggle. I left my Mohawk at home, along with my black eyeliner and combat boots (ha ha). I suppose not much has changed for me, the odd one at the party that didn't realize wasn't invited.

I have loved The Cure for many years, no....I guess it would be safe to say decades now. Robert Smith was just weird enough to peak my interest as a teenager. Oh the desperate anx of a brooding, artistic soul. Got to love it, at least I do. He came out on stage looking like he always had, crazy black hair with sloppy red lipstick. He is 49 now, and still has that youthfulness about him, but he also appears like this life he lives is a bit hard. That, and he has also put on a bit of weight.
He can still sing with as much passion as he always has, which is the important part. The opening song was Plain Song, and they covered just about every song I have ever loved. How many can say that? Usually most bands will leave out the one song you really wanted to hear because they are just tired of playing it. Not these guys! The crowd just went crazy at the sound of the first cord(s) of Just Like Heaven, Pictures of You, Lovesong, Lullaby, A letter to Elise, and many more. When they played Friday I'm in Love the crowd was louder than the band. It was totally awesome (sorry that's 1987 Bindy)!!

For me, it was nostalgia though and through. I also found myself frustrated at all the cell phones and Blackberries constantly up and taking photos. Call me old fashioned, but I actually miss the lighters. At least people were still focused on the music and the band, not getting the picture in the right lighting. The people in front of me spent more time taking and texting pictures than they did actually enjoying the music. I guess these days it is more important to show you were there, than actually enjoy that you are there.

Overall, it was a great night. I loved feeling the music beat through my chest again. I enjoyed screaming the lyrics until I became horse. I loved getting lost in the sounds and moving my body to songs that have so many memories. The best part about getting older is having memories to build a life on. The Cure is just one of the backdrops to the story of my life, and it is fabulous!

So what is my favorite Cure song? I love so many, I can't really name a "favorite." I will say the one that has stuck with me is Lullaby. I have loved that song since the first time I heard it on MTV (back when they actually played music). I was actually in a hotel in Idaho Falls with a girlfriend. She was visiting her boyfriend at college and I got stuck with the "friend" who thought he would be getting laid that night. Instead I disappointed him and watched MTV until I fell asleep.

1 comment:

Andee said...

I am jealous... I haven't been to a concert since I was a junior in high school! I saw Boyz II Men at the Delta Center (now named something else) and I had a fabulous time. Good for you getting out there and having some fun!!!!