5/06/2008

Tease

Last Friday my husband decided to catch a flight home for the weekend. Saturday morning I picked him up from the airport and have been on a high ever since. It was one of those perfect weekends, the kind you never forget. We were so happy doing everything together. The weather was the perfect kind of Spring weather that played with all your senses; smell, taste, sound, and sight.

Saturday we went running together and then to a movie. I stopped off at a bookstore and found a great cookbook. We picked out a couple of recipes for a Sunday barbecue, went shopping, and spent Sunday preparing and cooking. On the menu was a Kansas City dry rub, barbecue sauce, grilled chicken legs, a Kansas City potato salad, and a Asparagus Apple salad with blue cheese vinaigrette. I love to cook, but I have found that my true love of cooking comes in whom I cook for, namely my husband. I know it sounds strange, but I just love cooking with him and for him. Otherwise I generally find little satisfaction in preparing a nice meal just for myself.

Monday we ran again and then spent the day working in the yard. When Larry decided to come home, I didn't want him to feel there were things he "had" to do for me or the house. Sure there are always things that could have been worked on, but nothing pressing. I think I succeeded in letting him just be home and not feel like he had to do anything. He did want to work in the yard however. He wanted to mow the lawn and edge, turn on the sprinklers, etc..., so I just sat back and let him do what he wanted to do. For dinner we had leftovers with some steamed New Orleans style shrimp. After dinner, we came inside and watched Sweeney Todd (great movie) while I baked a Peach Blueberry Cobbler. Larry was a very happy man (and maybe a few pounds heavier)!

This morning we had breakfast together and did some laundry. I drove him to the airport, and as we said goodbye we held on to each other just a little longer than normal; both feeling that these separations are becoming more and more difficult these days. On my way home, Larry called me to tell me that he got a seat on the plane and also to say thank you. Thank you? Really? Apparently he had a really nice time and loves our life, our home, and being together. A sentiment I wholeheartedly agree with.







1 comment:

Andee said...

Wow, looks like you sure know your way around the kitchen. Unfortunately for me, the ONLY thing I can cook is a decent breakfast.

Glad to hear you guys had a good weekend! Take care!

-Syd