4/24/2007

Passion and the Paycheck

"Find what you love and do that for a career, that will make you happy." That was the career counseling I received from all the adults in my life. The problem was, so few of these "wise" advice peddlers appeared to be doing what they loved, nor did most of them appear to be very happy. For a girl that was trying to find her place in the world, and not really having a role model to look to, I was challenged to form goals that were my own and of my own passion.

Thirty five years later, I am finally getting it. Passion. What is passion? More importantly what is my passion? Age and experience has shown me that my passions are not about something specific, but about life and living, no matter what it is that I am doing. I spent a greater part of my 20s searching for that panacea, that amazing career that would fill me up with so much happiness that it would ooze from my pores. Obviously, that did not happen. However, through many trials and uphill battles, I managed to find that I did have talents that gave me confidence and feelings of purpose, but because these talents did not produce a dazzling headline or intense feelings of glee, I ignored them in a pursuit of the prize.
About a year ago, I started to realize that in order for me to feel at all like a worthwhile human being, I needed to get over my ego and start working toward a life of purpose using my God given talents. Talents that include my passions, but just not in the way I had originally considered them. It is true that once you really know yourself; the good, the bad, the ugly, and even the beautiful, and allow yourself to come to terms with it all, it seems that anything is possible. Recently I have even been suprising myself in that when I feel a hurdle coming on, or a self imposed limitation, that I can now say "this too shall pass," and actually believe it. It is a calmness that is combined with tenacity, a drive that comes with compassion.
My passion is to try hard, work to be better, love as much as possible, and enjoy all the beauty along the way.

No comments: