10/23/2007

Changing plans

As the old saying goes "life is what happens when your busy making plans." I thought when we moved back to Salt Lake that would be all-she-wrote for us. We would settle into our life here and not look to leave. I am still not looking to leave, but after a long conversation with Larry last night I began to see that my plans may have to change. Larry has long wanted to fly for Delta mainline since he entered the airline piloting profession in 2001. It now looks very probable that may happen after many years of waiting in the wings. If it does happen (knock on wood) there is a very good chance that he will be based in Atlanta before being senior enough to move back to Salt Lake. He also might be moving back down to Pensacola for a command spot at his old Naval reserve unit after this stint in Hawaii. This makes living here seem more like a pain in the butt than an enjoyment, at least for now. As we talked we came to an agreement that it doesn't make sense to stay here if we can't be together, especially as we look to the near future of wanting a family. The only conclusion would be to move back down to the South.

It seems so strange that after everything we went through to get here, we might find ourselves back in Atlanta, a place that I never really wanted to live. I do have friends there, actually more friends there than I have here (sad). Although premature, I did look around the Atlanta area this morning online as it was fresh in my mind. I have to say, I do like the Marietta area. It looks like a nice place to live with the old Southern square in the center, the rolling hills, and trees. I think it is pretty close to the Appalachian Mountains which must be amazing in the Fall. I do recall when Larry was living in Atlanta many years ago, I visited during October and remember beautiful Fall foliage. I briefly thought to myself at the time that it wouldn't be a bad place to live. Then his airline opened up a SLC hub and we jumped at the chance to move home. A year later, Skywest bought his airline and closed the hub. It has a been a challenge ever since.
I say all this knowing it would be a least 2 years from now before it would be an issue (the moving), especially since he is in Hawaii now. A lot of things could change by then. My biggest challenge is to finish my program of study so I can be employed here, there, or anywhere. I guess I just find it humbling to think that when it seems everything is falling into place, events happen where change is inevitable. I can choose to either go with it, or I can do what I have done so many times in the past and stubbornly stuck to my guns only to end up unhappy and alone.
Hummm......I think I will start learning from the past and adopt a more go with the flow philosophy. I guess time will tell what the future changes and challenges will be, but more importantly, I have learned to be open to them.

No comments: