10/30/2007

Making Lemonade

After my pity party ended (I gave myself an evening of moping around), I decided the best thing to do was to make myself busy. I started Saturday morning with the one thing I had not managed to clean, my fridge. Now I had emptied it out, but I had not actually scraped the dried on milk, chocolate sauce, and whatever else had adhered to the glass. Shortly afterwards I realized that all my food was in the trash and I was in need of some nourishment.



This is my fridge after a trip to the store. Yes, I know this looks bad (she actually took a picture of her fridge....how sad), but stick with me, I think it gets better (no guarantees though).

I then made my way to a consignment shop where I had some items I was trying to sale. Fortunately, everything had managed to sale. Unfortunately, the money I made didn't last long since I wandered around the store and found this incredible buy...



This antique chair had originally been listed for $500 at the shop, but no takers, so I got it for $100. Having worked with fabrics a bit in my life, I can tell you the fabric and upholstery job cost more that $100. I thought it would make the perfect reading chair. Having sat in it a few times now, I can say that it is!
I also stopped by a home store and picked up a few frames for some photos. I finally framed my photos from Morocco after 2 years. I hung them up in the living room. I think they turned out pretty good.




Saturday also included some laborious work. The leaves covering the lawn outside had become a few inches thick , and I thought it might be smart to start digging through. This has to be one of my least favorite jobs (somehow Larry always seems to be out of town for this one....hmm).


Over the last few years, I have gone from spending days raking up the damn things, to sucking them up with my lawn mower which takes forever as the lawn bag fills up after one row of mowing. Last year, I decided to do the compost thing. I put the mower on compost which shreds everything up into little pieces. Afterwards, I go back over with the bag on the mower to suck up the remains. This makes for a speedy process.
My neighbor, on the other hand, is the typical guy in that he has fallen for the latest gadget that will "save him time" dealing with those pesky leaves. It is like the reverse of a leaf blower, but rather than blow the leaves, it sucks them up. You still have to rake them into a pile and suck them one by one into this little bag which fills up quickly and has to be transferred to another bag. You probably think this would take a long time, and you would be right. As I started my work, he was working on his front yard making his little soon to be sucked piles. I swept up three bags of leaves from the driveway, got out my mower, chopped up the leaves, mowed the lawn, sucked up the leaf pieces of the entire back yard and side yard while he managed to get through about 1/4 of his many piles. HAHAHA. Nothing like a resourceful woman who knows how to get it done!! Of course, he did waste considerable time with the "guys" standing around admiring his new gadget.

Later that evening, my friend Jed and I decided to get together to catch up. I invited him over for some Harvest soup and he made dessert. We ate good chow and played Jenga while watching Fargo. It was a good, low key evening.

Sunday I mowed the front yard, a task which is an exercise in futility because as soon as you remove the leaves, more leaves fall to take their place. This is a picture of the morning after...



Unbelievable! Why even bother? I guess it will make for a nice Halloween though. Sunday afternoon Jed and I decided to head to the library to study. He is in an MBA program, and although we aren't studying the same material, it is nice to have someone to chat with and be that kick in the pants to get focused. Plus I got to enjoy the day at the beautiful downtown library.







After a few hours at the library, I ran home to make yet another pot of Harvest Soup with Cornbread for another dinner with friends. This time it was Kay and Jolene. What can I say, soup is good, easy, inexpensive, and perfect for this time of year. This recipe never fails. It is in the Mormon Cookbook. No, you don't have to be Mormon to eat or enjoy this food. It has a lot of the recipes that I grew up on, so I they remind me of my younger days.

As I did the dishes later that night, I realized that although I wasn't with Larry, I didn't do too shabby for a "lonely" lady. I kept myself productive and rather busy. I suppose it's like they say, "make lemonade when your handed a bag of lemons." It might not have been the best lemonade, but it wasn't half bad.

No comments: