11/24/2007

Beowulf, Turkey, Buffalo, and Football

Larry got home Saturday morning and it has been a whirlwind of craziness and fun ever since. Saturday afternoon we went to Fiddler's Elbow in Sugarhouse to watch the Utah game on the big screen T.V.. We filled up on 50 cent Wings and Nachos. I also ran into some old neighbors from my childhood. It is strange to see people you remember from your youth with white hair.

The next day we decided to go see Beowulf. I was slightly hesitant, but Larry was determined. We decided to drive to Sandy and see it at the Jordan Commons IMAX theater. We mistakenly got to the theater an hour early, so we were able to get the "Cricket Seats". What are the Cricket seats one may ask? Good question, because we had no idea ourselves. They are 2 seats that are in the center of the theater that are extra big, all leathered out, and recline. They are rather ridiculous, but what the heck, we enjoyed them. The movie was in 3-D and was great! When I left the theater the first thing out of my mouth was "that was fun!" Yes, it was fun, which isn't something I normally say when I leave a movie. I really liked the story, even though it did not follow the 3000+ line poem exactly. With the 3-D added to it, the flying scenes were awesome! I felt like I was flying on the back of the dragon. Occasionally, blood would fly or a body part here and there. Like I said, it was Fun! I would see it again, but it would have to be the same way.

Wednesday I began the prep for Thanksgiving dinner. I had invited some family over for Thanksgiving dinner, so I took on the chore of making a good meal. I actually enjoy cooking, especially large meals that I don't get to cook that much. I made two types of cranberries, a yummy yam dish (no marshmallows here), a savory root vegetable dish, rolls, turkey, stuffing and pumpkin eggnog pie. Everyone else added to the menu with their own dishes.



It took 2 days of prep and cooking, about 4 hours of clean up all for about an hour of food experience. I started debating with myself about the resources used for one meal vs. tradition. In the end, tradition won.

Yesterday, we decided to get away from all the "black Friday" shopping/insanity and went to Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake.






It was cold and windy, but a beautiful day. We came across a number of bison herds roaming around. Occasionally a stray human made their way toward the grouping. We would watch with bated breath to see if one of these beasts would remove this genetically weak human from the pool. No such luck.

Later, we found our way to a little food shack for some hot cocoa. Hiking up and around the rocks, we got a little camera crazy.












On the long drive back we stopped off a got a couple of Root Beers. What ensued was what could only be called gastric explosions in tight quarters. Larry is an optimal belcher with many years of training. I, on the other hand, am only now coming into my own in the belch arena. Larry's critique: I have the volume but now need to work on my shaping.

Later we came home and ate turkey leftovers until our stomachs were on the verge of splitting.

Today we are watching the BYU vs. Utah game while putting up Christmas decorations.

Larry goes back to Hawaii tomorrow and life will return to normal, the "normal" life I live without him. Fortunately he will be back in just a months time. I am looking forward to it already.

No comments: