11/03/2007

Nostalgia

This morning as I was studying and doing stuff around the house, this song from Boston came through the satellite and immediately I was transported back in time to an amazing event in my life when I was 17. I was on a church mission trip to Mexico to build houses for a few weeks in the summer of 1989. It was an amazing journey, one that is encased in the music of Boston. David, one of my friends who was also on the trip, loved Boston and played their music over and over again on the trip down to Mexico and back.
All these years later, when I hear this song, or any Boston music for that matter, I reflect on one of the biggest life changing moments of my life. I remember that feeling of ultimate freedom and charity. I remember what my hopes and dreams for my life were and still are. I hear these songs and I remember what is important to me and who I am. Funny how some old 80s band can forever be burned into your memory. Then there was the song "Windy" from the summer before, but that's a story for another day.

No comments: