11/18/2007

Narcissism in a nutshell

For the last month I have been living in a vacuum of sorts. I stopped getting the paper and rarely watch television which includes the news. I have been comfortably ignorant regarding local issues. That being said, I have also felt out of the loop about what is going on in the state, county, and city. Yesterday, I started my newspaper delivery once again. It didn't take long for me to regret this decision. This morning the front page read "Utah less Mormon than ever." My first thought was, "why is this news, let alone front page news? Where is the news about the thousands dead and displaced in Bangladesh? Oh, that's right, that's on page 6, where a story about the dead and demoralized gets an afterthought, but hey falling Mormon numbers in the center of world, i.e. Utah, is far more important."

This is my number one complaint about living here. It is non stop Mormon this, Mormon that, Mormon everything. Ironic then, that this article reveals that Utah is at its lowest numbers EVER on percentage of Mormons (60%) living in the state based on church numbers given to the state. Even more revealing is that by their own admission (the church) only half of those 60% have anything to do with the church (attendance, tithing, etc...). So much for Utah being a "Mormon only" state. To be honest, after living here in the 80s when Mormon growth was at its heyday, vs now when it is at its lowest, it doesn't take much to see the change. Just spending time in and around the area I live, I begin to see things more clearly (the ward building in my neighborhood has been vacant for over a year) and rarely do I find there is an Us vs Them mentality. Strange then, the paper feels the need to continue propagating this divide. I believe the quote that really makes this sentiment clear is when the "journalist" states...
"as the population continues to change, Utah Mormons will see their neighborhoods become more religiously diverse, children will have more non-Mormon friends and consequently more of them will have their faith tested more than ever before."

Read that last statement once more, "more of them will have their faith tested more than ever before." So am I to believe that this "journalist" (not to mention the editor) believes that individuals of other faiths or of no faith that move in to these pristine Mormon neighborhoods will bring forth temptation and a scourge of evil that will taint the minds and heart of the ever so devout and faithful? I don't believe I could possibly think of a better example of narcissism or even religious discrimination. I don't know, but it has that even so subtle sheen of "we don't want those black folks movin' in cause they'll ruin this community and drop our property values."

I find this all so revolting and disgusting. Is this really what Mormons believe? My own childhood experience says "yes" in fact they do, but even I can't bring myself to believe that all of them do, not today. I have to believe that statements like this are made from a bygone era of the old and narcissistic Mormon that is in a clash with a younger generation that couldn't possibly think that sharing a neighborhood with those of different faiths is a bad thing. This is global world now. There is no I'm Right and Your Wrong (unless your a crazy wacko that likes flying planes into buildings). Not to mention that by living a life of such intolerance leaves one to live a life alone and afraid, looking out into the world with a scowl on their face and bitterness on their breath. I believe that most Mormons want to share their lives with others and not be seen as weird, mean, elitist people. After all, my Mormon neighbors hold the annual ice cream party every summer on our street. They are wonderful, lovely people who could care less about anyone's religion.

Unfortunately, this is the poopy part of living in this beautiful state, having to constantly be barraged with "Mormon foot in mouth" in what should be unbiased reporting and information sources. I don't know if I will continue my subscription to the paper. I wish I had an alternative for news, but I have found what is available is very limiting.

I am, of course, ever so happy to see the changes happening here; the diversity of culture and belief. I love feeling part of a community and not as the ostracized outcast of my childhood. Now if only we could get the mouthpieces in the state to be more representative of the population, not just the other-than-Mormon (I hate the word non-Mormon, it is so.....well...narcisstic) population, but the ENTIRE population. That will be the day, one I am anxiously waiting for.

No comments: